Royal Icing Tutorial: Feathering
What you need:
- 1 batch of Royal Icing
- icing colour gels OR food colouring
- #2 - #4 piping tips
- piping bags
Royal Icing Decorating Techniques: Feathering
1. Decide which colours you want to use for decorating, and divide the royal icing into as many bowls. Mix in your food colouring until you've achieved the colours you like.
2. Fill your piping bags with the coloured royal icing.
3. First outline and flood your cookie with the base colour, using the largest piping tip for flooding. (See our royal icing tutorials for outlining and flooding for more details.)
4. Once your cookie is flooded, take a piping bag filled with a different colour and fitted with a smaller tip. Pipe dots across the surface of your cookie. Note: We piped dots in a straight line, but you can also pipe dots in various shapes to create different designs (i.e. heart, circle, diamond, etc.).
5. When you've finished piping your dots, set the piping bag aside. Then take a toothpick and gently drag it through the piped dots to create a lovely feathered effect.
6. Give your cookie a final shake to smooth out the design, then set aside to dry for at least one hour. Once fully dried, store decorated cookies in an airtight container to keep them fresh for up to several days.