Black Sesame Bundt Cake with Grape Glaze
8 to 10 servings
1 hour 20 minutes
45 to 50 minutes
For the cake
- 2 ½ cups (313 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ tsp (13 g) baking powder
- ½ tsp (3 g) baking soda
- 1 tsp (6 g) salt
- 1 ¾ cups (350 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar, divided (¾ cup and 1 cup)
- ¾ cup (117 g) black sesame seeds
- 1 cup (227 g) unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk
- Black food colouring, optional
For the glaze
- 2 cups (340 g) black seedless grapes
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- 1 tsp (2 g) lemon zest
- 2 cups (240 g) Redpath® Icing Sugar
- ⅛ tsp (1 g) salt
For the cake:
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Using a pastry brush, generously grease a 10 cup (2.5 litre) bundt pan with butter, taking care to reach all the creases.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
In a blender or food processor, blend ¾ cup (150 grams) of Redpath® Granulated Sugar with the black sesame seeds to a powder consistency. Whisk into the flour mixture.
Using an electric mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the butter and remaining 1 cup (200 g) of Redpath® Granulated Sugar on medium speed until pale and fluffy; 4 minutes.
Add the eggs one at a time, allowing each egg to fully incorporate before adding the next.
Mix in the vanilla extract.
Reduce speed to low and alternate adding ⅓ of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, with ½ the milk, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary, until all ingredients are combined.
For a more dramatic black cake colour, add a few drops of black food colour to the batter and fold in.
Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and tap a few times on the counter to release any large air bubbles.
Bake until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake emerges clean and the edges of the cake start to release from the pan; 45 to 50 minutes.
Allow cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack and removing the pan. Allow cake to cool completely before glazing.
For the glaze:
Place the grapes, water and lemon zest in a small pot over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Mash the grapes to release juices and allow mixture to simmer until reduced to ½ cup; about 15 minutes.
Allow grape mixture to cool for 10 minutes. Transfer to a blender and add the Redpath® Icing sugar. Blend until smooth; 3 to 4 minutes.
Pour glaze over cake and allow to dry for 15 minutes before serving.
- Black sesame seeds can be found in most Asian grocery stores, the international section of large grocery chains or natural foods stores.
- If black grapes are unavailable, use the darkest colour grapes available. The purple hue can also be boosted with a few drops of food colouring, if desired.