Say goodbye to the same old same old - it’s “thyme” for something new! It’s a fresh take on icing, full of bright citrus flavour and the surprisingly harmonious taste of thyme. For a sweetly sophisticated twist on your usual doughnuts, loaves, and cakes, this recipe has you covered.
- ¼ cup (50 g) Redpath Simply Raw™ Turbinado Sugar ¼ cup (50 g) Redpath Simply Raw™ Turbinado Sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) water 3 tbsp (45 ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice, preferably freshly squeezed 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- 1 tbsp (2 g) fresh thyme leaves 1 tbsp (2 g) fresh thyme leaves
- 1⅔ cup (200 g) Redpath® Icing Sugar 1⅔ cup (200 g) Redpath® Icing Sugar
- ¼ tsp (1 g) salt ¼ tsp (1 g) salt
In a small pot, combine the Redpath Simply Raw™ Turbinado Sugar with the water, lemon juice, and thyme. Bring mixture to a simmer and stir to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and cover to allow the thyme to infuse into the syrup; 10 minutes.
Strain syrup into a bowl. Discard thyme leaves.
Sift the Redpath® Icing Sugar and salt into the syrup and gently whisk to combine.
Use the thyme sugar glaze to dip or spoon over cooled doughnuts or pour over cakes. Set glazed items aside to harden; 5 to 10 minutes.
*Switch out the thyme and use any fresh herbs that are in season (eg. rosemary, basil, mint).
*For a stronger caramel flavour and darker colour to the glaze, replace half of the Redpath Simply Raw™ Turbinado Sugar with Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar (2 tablespoons/ 27 grams).
*For a thinner glaze, add 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of water to the glaze until the desired thickness is reached.
Related Recipe: Yeasted Doughnuts