Frostings 101: Quick Buttercream
Makes about 2 cups.
- 1 cup (227 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 - 4 cups (360 - 480 g) Redpath Icing Sugar
- 1 - 2 tbsp (15 - 30 ml) whipping cream
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- Chocolate: Sift in 1/2 cup of cocoa in step 2 with the icing sugar.
- Mocha: Sift in 1/2 cup of cocoa in step 2 with the icing sugar, and replace the cream with espresso or instant coffee.
- Peanut Butter: Beat in 1 cup smooth peanut butter (not natural or old-fashioned) with the butter in step 1 until smooth and lightened in colour.
How to prepare:
1. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl using electric beaters, whip the butter until fluffy and lightened in colour, about 3 - 5 minutes.
2. Begin adding the icing sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing in slowly at first then increasing to high, beating until smooth and you achieve your desired consistency.
3. Beat in 1 tablespoon of cream, and if the buttercream is still not as soft as you want it, add the second tablespoon. Beat in the vanilla. Use immediately or store in the fridge, covered, until ready to use. Just be sure to let the icing come to room temperature before using.
For more great frosting recipes, be sure to check out the rest of our Frostings 101 recipes: