The Best and Easiest Royal Icing
- 8 cups (1 kg) Redpath® Icing Sugar
- ¼ cup (45g) meringue powder
- pinch of salt
- ¾ cups (180 ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vanilla extract
1. In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together Redpath® Icing Sugar, meringue powder and salt. Add water and vanilla extract and mix on medium-low speed until royal icing is fluffy and stiff peaks form.
2. To reach a flooding consistency, add water 1 tablespoon at a time.
3. Test to see if the icing is ready for decorating by pulling a knife through the icing. Count how long it takes for the icing to collapse. It should fall in 10 seconds. If your icing is too thick add water; if it is too runny add more icing sugar. Keep royal icing in airtight container up to 2 weeks.