When a special occasion is coming and you want to bake to impress, our Celebration cake is a can’t-miss. With the wine of your choice, make each fluffy layer anywhere from light and lovely to absolutely luscious. We went the extra mile with this recipe - because we know you always do, too!
- 2¾ cups (344 g) all-purpose flour 2¾ cups (344 g) all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (45 g) cornstarch ⅓ cup (45 g) cornstarch
- 2 tbsp (12 g) skim milk powder 2 tbsp (12 g) skim milk powder
- 1¼ tsp (6 g) baking powder 1¼ tsp (6 g) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 g) baking soda ½ tsp (2 g) baking soda
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- 1¼ cup (313 ml) white wine 1¼ cup (313 ml) white wine
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice, preferably freshly squeezed 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- 1¾ cups (350 g) Redpath® Organic Granulated Sugar 1¾ cups (350 g) Redpath® Organic Granulated Sugar
- ⅔ cup (151 g) butter ⅔ cup (151 g) butter
- ⅓ cup (83 ml) canola oil ⅓ cup (83 ml) canola oil
- 4 eggs 4 eggs
- 2 tsp (10 ml) pure vanilla extract 2 tsp (10 ml) pure vanilla extract
For the cake:
Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease and line the bottoms of three 8 x 2-inch cake pans. Dust with flour. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, milk powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until thoroughly blended and no lumps remain.
In a measuring cup, whisk together the white wine and lemon juice. Set aside until needed.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the Redpath® Organic Granulated Sugar, butter, and canola oil until pale in colour; 3 minutes. Occasionally scrape the sides of the bowl to ensure batter is well mixed.
Add eggs one at a time, incorporating well after each addition before adding the next. Add in the pure vanilla extract, mixing well.
Add ⅓ of the dry ingredients into the batter, blending on low speed until just combined. Add in half of the wet ingredients, blending on low speed until just combined. Repeat process with remaining wet and dry ingredients, ending with the dry ingredients. Once all the ingredients are in the bowl, increase speed to medium and blend well for 1 minute; do not overmix.
Evenly divide and smooth the batter into prepared pans. Place cake pans into the centre of the preheated oven.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, rotating tins 15 to 20 minutes into the baking time. Bake until a skewer comes out clean with a few moist crumbs attached or when cake springs back when gently pressed.
Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes in the cake pans. Run a small offset spatula around each cake and carefully unmold. Place onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Ensure cake is completely cooled before attempting to frost. Suggested frosting: Hibiscus Swiss Meringue Buttercream.
*Organic produce and products can be found in the organic aisle of any major grocery store or in health food stores.
*Organic white wine can be found in the organic section of any large liquor or wine store.
*Use a white wine that you enjoy drinking. Lighter-bodied white wines will yield a cake that has subtle undertones of wine, whereas more full-bodied white wines will produce a cake that has more of a wine taste to them.
*To ensure each cake round is the same height, weigh the cake batter and divide the total weight by 3. Place each pan onto a scale and transfer the specified amount of batter into each cake tin. Smooth tops and place into the preheated oven.
*Learn how to frost a cake here: https://www.redpathsugar.com/how-to-frost-cake