Get the true taste of the tropics without ever leaving home! We use real pineapple and coconut milk for rich, authentic flavour. Make it a mocktail, or indulge in your favourite rum - either way, you’ll love this chilly refresher under the summer sun.
30 minutes chilling time
- ¼ cup (54 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar ¼ cup (54 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) water 3 tbsp (45 ml) water
- 1 tbsp (6 g) fresh ginger, finely minced 1 tbsp (6 g) fresh ginger, finely minced
- 5 cups (703 g) fresh pineapple, chunks, frozen 5 cups (703 g) fresh pineapple, chunks, frozen
- 1¼ cup (313 ml) canned coconut milk, full fat, well-stirred 1¼ cup (313 ml) canned coconut milk, full fat, well-stirred
- ⅔ cup (167 ml) white rum (or coconut water or pineapple juice for mocktail version) ⅔ cup (167 ml) white rum (or coconut water or pineapple juice for mocktail version)
- ½ cup (115 g) ice cubes ½ cup (115 g) ice cubes
- ¼ cup (63 ml) heavy cream ¼ cup (63 ml) heavy cream
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lime juice, preferably freshly squeezed 2 tbsp (30 ml) lime juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- 1 tbsp (14 g) coconut oil 1 tbsp (14 g) coconut oil
In a small pot or microwave-safe bowl, combine the Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, water, and minced ginger. Place onto medium heat and stir until mixture begins to boil and sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from hea
Cover and allow mixture to steep and cool to room temperature; 10 minutes. Place into the fridge to chill completely; 20 minutes
In a high-speed blender, combine the frozen pineapple chunks, coconut milk, rum (or coconut water or pineapple juice), ice, heavy cream, and lime juice. Add in the cooled ginger syrup (including the minced ginger) to the blender. Blend until smooth.
Pour into chilled glasses. Garnish with pineapple wedges, pineapple leaves, long slices of ginger, flaked coconut, or lime wheels.
*If possible, place canned coconut milk, rum, and other ingredients in the fridge to ensure everything is cold or frozen before blending. This will help the drink stay icy cold.
*Make the ginger syrup at least 30 minutes or up to a few days in advance to ensure syrup is completely chilled.
*When freezing fresh pineapple: cut fresh pineapple into 1-inch chunks and lie flat in a single layer on a baking sheet or container. Freeze for at least 3 hours, or up to 6 months in a sealed container.
*Commercially frozen pineapple can be used in place of the fresh frozen pineapple.
*To make this recipe dairy-free, replace the heavy cream with coconut cream.
*Do not use coconut cream or cream of coconut for the coconut milk in this recipe. Coconut cream (the portion that is found at the top of a can of coconut milk when it has not been shaken or stirred) has a higher fat content than coconut milk and is much thicker in consistency than coconut milk. Cream of coconut is an already sweetened product of coconut cream.
*For a tropical feel, serve drinks in chilled, hollowed-out pineapples.
*The white rum can be replaced with dark rum, vodka, or any coconut or pineapple flavoured liqueur/alcohol.