You’ve just baked the perfect muffin or loaf. How can you top that? With this sweet and crunchy streusel! It’s incredibly easy to make but it’s the ultimate finishing touch for enhanced flavour and texture. (Psst! Check the Chef’s Tips and we’ll tell you how to turn it into a to-die-for ice cream topping!)
- ⅔ cup (56 g) shredded coconut ⅔ cup (56 g) shredded coconut
- ⅓ cup (42 g) all-purpose flour ⅓ cup (42 g) all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (72 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed ⅓ cup (72 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed
- ⅓ cup (29 g) large flaked oats ⅓ cup (29 g) large flaked oats
- ½ tsp (2 g) ground cinnamon ½ tsp (2 g) ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp (1 g) salt ⅛ tsp (1 g) salt
- ¼ cup + 1 tsp (61 g) butter ¼ cup + 1 tsp (61 g) butter
- 2 tsp (4 g) lime zest, finely grated 2 tsp (4 g) lime zest, finely grated
- ½ tsp (2 ml) pure vanilla extract ½ tsp (2 ml) pure vanilla extract
In a bowl, toss together with hands shredded coconut, flour, the Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, large flaked oats, cinnamon, and salt until thoroughly blended.
In a small microwaveable bowl (or in a small pot over medium-low heat), heat butter at 10-second intervals until melted. Stir in the lime zest and vanilla extract. Let cool slightly.
Pour melted butter mixture over the dry ingredients and mix with a spatula or hands until a coarse crumble forms.
Cover and chill in the fridge for 10 minutes or until needed; up to 3 days.
Sprinkle streusel onto muffins, pies, bars, quick breads, or coffee cakes before baking for added texture and flavour.
*Bake and use as a topping for yogurt or ice cream or as granola. Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C). Spread streusel onto a baking sheet lined with parchment and place into the oven; 10 to 15 minutes. Stir the streusel every 5 minutes to ensure even baking. Bake until golden in colour. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on the baking sheet. Streusel will harden as it cools. Store in an airtight container.
*For additional coconut flavour, use coconut oil in place of the butter, and/or coconut extract instead of the vanilla extract.
*Streusel can be made up to 3 days in advance.
Related Recipe: Pineapple Lime Muffins