- 2¼ cups (281 g) all-purpose flour 2¼ cups (281 g) all-purpose flour
- 1¼ tsp (7 g) baking powder 1¼ tsp (7 g) baking powder
- 1½ tsp (3 g) ground ginger 1½ tsp (3 g) ground ginger
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- ¼ tsp (2 g) baking soda ¼ tsp (2 g) baking soda
- ¾ cup (188 ml) full fat yogurt, plain ¾ cup (188 ml) full fat yogurt, plain
- ¼ cup (60 ml) lime juice, freshly squeezed ¼ cup (60 ml) lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1¼ cup (271 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed 1¼ cup (271 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed
- ½ cup (113 g) butter, melted and cooled ½ cup (113 g) butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 tsp (10 g) lime zest, finely grated 5 tsp (10 g) lime zest, finely grated
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dark rum 2 tsp (10 ml) dark rum
- 1 cup (175 g) pineapple tidbits, drained well 1 cup (175 g) pineapple tidbits, drained well
- Coconut Streusel Topping Coconut Streusel Topping
Preheat oven to 450°F (232°C). Spray or line two muffin tins with 16 liners.
In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, ground ginger, salt, and baking soda. Whisk until thoroughly mixed. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
In a large measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the yogurt and lime juice until well blended. Add in the Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, melted butter, lightly beaten eggs, lime zest, and the rum. Whisk thoroughly.
Pour the wet ingredients into the well of the dry ingredients and sprinkle the drained pineapple into the bowl. With a rubber spatula, quickly and with as few strokes as possible, fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. This is done by cutting the edge of the spatula into the centre of the batter, scraping the bottom of the bowl and up the sides of the bowl as you bring the spatula back up, and folding the batter over and onto the top of the batter, while slightly turning the bowl as you do so. Repeat, until just combined; do not overmix.
With an ice cream scoop or large spoon, fill the wells of the muffin tins ¾ full.
If using the Coconut Streusel Topping, make as directed and evenly divide and sprinkle the tops of each muffin with the streusel before placing into the oven.
Place muffin tins into the preheated oven and bake for 5 minutes at 450°F (232°C). Reduce heat to 400°F (204°C), and bake for an additional 13 to 15 minutes, or until tops are golden brown in colour and a skewer inserted into the centre of each muffin comes out clean.
Remove from oven and cool in pan; 5 minutes.
Remove muffins from tin and place onto a wire rack to cool completely.
*Sour cream or Greek yogurt can be used in place of the plain full fat yogurt.
*Zest limes before juicing.
*Pure vanilla extract, rum extract, lime extract, or coconut extract may be used in place of the dark rum.
*Do not use crushed pineapple, as this may result in a soggy muffin. Roughly chopped pineapple chunks may be used. Fresh or frozen pineapple may be used in place of the canned pineapple tidbits.
Related Recipe: Coconut Streusel Topping