Brown Sugar Simple Syrup
- Syrups & Sauces
- Mother's Day
- Father's Day
- New Year's
- Valentine's day
- Weddings & Showers
- Golden Yellow Sugar
- Dark Brown Sugar
- Demerara Style Sugar
They may be “simple” syrups, but there’s not much they can’t do when it comes to flavouring desserts, drinks, sauces, and more. Each of our Brown Sugars — Golden Yellow, Dark Brown, and Demerara Style — brings unique qualities to these indispensable add-ins. Consider them your baker’s, barista’s, or barbecuer’s secret weapons.
45 minutes cooling time
- 3 cups (750 ml) water, preferably filtered, divided 3 cups (750 ml) water, preferably filtered, divided
- 1 cup + 3 tbsp (258 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed 1 cup + 3 tbsp (258 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed
- 1 cup + 3 tbsp (258 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, packed 1 cup + 3 tbsp (258 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, packed
- 1 cup + 3 tbsp (258 g) Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar, packed 1 cup + 3 tbsp (258 g) Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar, packed
- Liquid measuring cup Liquid measuring cup
- Scale OR dry measuring cup Scale OR dry measuring cup
- Heavy-bottomed saucepan Heavy-bottomed saucepan
- Heat-proof spatula Heat-proof spatula
- Funnel (if needed) Funnel (if needed)
- Airtight containers (jars or bottles); sterilized (see Chef’s Tips) Airtight containers (jars or bottles); sterilized (see Chef’s Tips)
In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine 1 cup (250 ml) water with the Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar. Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Stir to dissolve sugars completely.
Remove from heat and cool to room temperature; approximately 45 minutes.
Repeat process for the Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar and the Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar if making.
Pour the cooled simple syrups into airtight containers. Store in the refrigerator up to several weeks.
*Ensure containers used for simple syrups are sterilized (see Jam Making 101 for how to sterilize jars and/or bottles and tips for long-term storage) or freshly washed and dried before pouring in the cooled simple syrup.
*Simple syrup should be thrown out if it develops mould, cloudiness, or smells off.
*Simple syrups can be used to flavour hot or cold teas, coffees, steamed milk, sparkling water, and cocktails. Pour a small amount over ice cream, yogurt, or oatmeal. Moisten cake layers to prevent cakes from drying out and for added flavour.
*Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar is great for flavouring anything where a subtle hint of caramel is desired while allowing delicate flavours to shine through (e.g. floral or citrus).
*Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar is ideal when a more pronounced caramel flavour is wanted; think vanilla, warm spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger), black tea, and coffee.
*Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar is excellent for flavouring desserts or drinks where the dominant flavour of the item can hold its own against the deep earthy, caramel flavour of this sugar and will be enhanced by these complex flavour notes (e.g. dark chocolate, coffee, rum, whisky or bourbon-based drinks or desserts).