Vegan Gluten-Free Brownies
No one can say no to a brownie — especially when they’re vegan, gluten-free, and free of most major allergens! The only thing not missing is that intense chocolate flavour brownie-lovers crave. For school, for the office, and for the family, this could be the only brownie recipe you need.
- ⅔ cup (59 g) large flaked oats (see Chef’s Tips) ⅔ cup (59 g) large flaked oats (see Chef’s Tips)
- ¼ cup (25 g) cocoa powder ¼ cup (25 g) cocoa powder
- ½ tsp (2 g) baking powder ½ tsp (2 g) baking powder
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) strong brewed coffee (see Chef’s Tips) 3 tbsp (45 ml) strong brewed coffee (see Chef’s Tips)
- ⅔ cup (145 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar ⅔ cup (145 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup (63 ml) canola oil (see Chef’s Tips) ¼ cup (63 ml) canola oil (see Chef’s Tips)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) pure vanilla extract 1 tbsp (15 ml) pure vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup (113 g) vegan dark chocolate, roughly chopped, divided (see Chef’s Tips) ⅔ cup (113 g) vegan dark chocolate, roughly chopped, divided (see Chef’s Tips)
- ¼ cup (43 g) vegan dark chocolate, finely chopped ¼ cup (43 g) vegan dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 8 x 8-inch baking pan 8 x 8-inch baking pan
- Parchment paper Parchment paper
- Food processor with metal blade attachment Food processor with metal blade attachment
- Scale OR dry measuring cups Scale OR dry measuring cups
- Measuring spoons Measuring spoons
- Liquid measuring cup Liquid measuring cup
- Small bowl Small bowl
- Whisk Whisk
- Rubber spatula Rubber spatula
- Small offset spatula Small offset spatula
- Wire cooling rack Wire cooling rack
- Small microwave-safe bowl Small microwave-safe bowl
- Small piping bag Small piping bag
Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Lightly grease and line an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on all sides for easy removal.
In a food processor fitted with the metal blade attachment, process the large flaked oats until finely ground. Transfer oat flour to a small bowl. Whisk in the cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt until well combined, and no lumps remain.
In the same food processor, add the drained black beans and the coffee. Process until a smooth paste is formed. Add the Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, canola oil, and vanilla extract. Process, scraping down the sides of the bowl periodically, until the mixture is well combined.
Add the dry ingredients into the food processor and process until the mixture is smooth and the dry ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
Remove the metal blade from the food processor bowl and fold in ½ cup (85 grams) of the chopped chocolate with a rubber spatula (see Chef’s Tips). Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan and evenly smooth using a small offset spatula. Sprinkle the remaining chopped chocolate over the surface of the batter.
Place pan into the preheated oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the centre is just set and the edges are dry and starting to pull away from the pan. Remove from oven and place onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely before slicing; at least 30 minutes.
For the garnish:
Place the finely chopped chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl. Heat at 10- to 15-second intervals, mixing in between, until the chocolate is 90% melted. Remove from microwave and stir until chocolate is completely melted.
Place melted chocolate into a small piping bag. Snip just the tip off the piping bag and pipe onto the cooled brownies before or after slicing. Alternatively, use a resealable bag in place of the piping bag or a small spoon to drizzle on the melted chocolate.
Store completely cooled brownies in an airtight container layered between parchment paper for up to a week in the fridge or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
*Ensure the oats used are certified gluten-free as some manufacturers have factories that process wheat products which may cause cross-contamination.
*Canola oil can be replaced with melted coconut oil or mildly flavoured olive oil.
*If you have instant espresso or coffee, replace the strong brewed coffee with 2 teaspoons (2 grams) instant espresso powder or coffee dissolved in 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of hot water.
*Most dark chocolates with a high percentage of cocoa are vegan. To ensure that the chocolate is vegan, check the ingredient list for milk solids, animal enzymes, or animal products (e.g. gelatin) and the package for vegan certification.
*Vegan chocolate chips can be used in place of the roughly chopped chocolate.
*If desired, the full amount of the chocolate can be folded into the batter for a smooth-topped brownie.
*Serve brownies as is or dusted with Redpath® Icing Sugar for additional sweetness. Vegan ice cream or coconut whipped cream would also work well with these brownies.
*Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar can be used in place of the Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar. Note that the resulting brownie may be lighter in colour and have a less noticeable caramel undertone.