The taste of malt is truly unique, which is what makes it perfect for this recipe! A thick and rich taste, malt always makes for a delightful combination to sweet treats. We used malted milk drink powder and chocolate covered malt balls to make these brownies. Cut yourself a square, and enjoy all that malt has to offer.
- 1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour 1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (70 g) malted milk drink powder ½ cup (70 g) malted milk drink powder
- 1 tsp (6 g) salt 1 tsp (6 g) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 g) baking powder ¼ tsp (1 g) baking powder
- 1 ⅓ cup (227 g) chopped milk chocolate 1 ⅓ cup (227 g) chopped milk chocolate
- ½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter ½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup (150 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar ¾ cup (150 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 116 g (1 cup) chocolate covered malt balls, roughly chopped 116 g (1 cup) chocolate covered malt balls, roughly chopped
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9 x 9 inch (23 x 23 centimetre) pan and line with foil or parchment paper. Allow for about a 2 inch (5 centimetre) overhang on two sides of the pan.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, malted milk powder, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
Heat 1 inch (2.5 centimetres) of water in a medium-sized saucepan to a bare simmer.
Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl. Set over the simmering water (making sure the bowl does not touch the water) and stir until chocolate and butter are melted. Immediately remove from heat and gently stir; one minute.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, Redpath® Granulated Sugar and vanilla until smooth.
Whisk in the chocolate mixture.
Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
Set aside ¼ cup (29 grams) of the chopped malt balls and fold the rest into the batter.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Sprinkle the reserved malt balls overtop.
Bake until the top is cracked and a skewer inserted in the centre emerges with a few moist crumbs attached; 30 to 35 minutes.
Allow brownies to cool completely in the pan. Remove cooled brownies and cut into 16 squares.
Brownies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.
*We used plain malted milk drink powder in our recipe, but malted milk powder with added cocoa or vanilla flavour works, too.