Chicken On a Waffle Bun
What you need for the waffles
- 1 recipe Redpath® Wonderfully Light and Fluffy Waffles, while omitting cinnamon and the ¾ cup of add-ins, and instead adding 1 tsp (1 g) dried thyme
What you need for the fried chicken
- 4 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- ⅓ cup (42 g) all purpose flour
- ½ cup (120 ml) buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup (54 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp (31 g) dijon mustard
- 1 ½ cup (113 g) panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp (6 g) salt
- ½ tsp (1 g) ground black pepper
- ½ tsp (1 g) red chili flakes
- ½ tsp (1 g) dried thyme
- vegetable oil for frying, such as canola or peanut
- tomato slices
- avocado slices
- hot sauce
a. Prepare waffles according to recipe and set aside in a 200°F(95°C) oven while preparing the chicken.
b. Place chicken in between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and with a mallet or rolling pin pound just until the breast is an even thickness of about 1/2 inch (1 centimetre); repeat with remaining breasts.
c. Place flour in a shallow dish. In another shallow dish, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, Redpath ® Dark Brown Sugar, and mustard.
d. In a third dish, mix together the panko bread crumbs, salt, black pepper and chili flakes.
a. Dredge the chicken in the flour to coat, followed by the buttermilk mixture. Place in the panko crumbs, gently pressing enough to adhere the crumbs to both sides. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
a. In a large, heavy skillet, pour in enough oil so that it is ½ inch (1 centimetre) deep.
b. Place over medium heat until oil is hot -- an instant read thermometer should read about 350 ? (180?). Without crowding the pan, add chicken and cook until golden brown, about 3 - 4 minutes, on each side, or cook until there is a minimum internal temperature of 165°F (75°C). Place on paper towel to drain. Repeat with remaining chicken if pan is too small to fit all 4 pieces at once.
1. Place 1 piece of fried chicken in between 2 waffles, combining with desired toppings.
- If Japanese-style panko breadcrumbs are not available, regular breadcrumbs can be used.