Carrot Cake Waffles with Cream Cheese Topping
about 16 small, or 8 large, waffles
What you need for the carrot cake waffles
- 1 ½ cups (188 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups (156 g) whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp (10 g) baking powder
- ½ tsp (3 g) baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp (6 g) cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2 g) ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp (2 g) ground cloves
- 1 tsp (6 g) salt
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 ½ cup (360 ml) milk
- ⅔ cup (120 ml) cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup (114 g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Golden Yellow Sugar ½ cup (145 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed
- 1 cup (120 g) grated carrot
- ¾ cup (105 g) raisins
- ¾ cup (78 g) chopped pecans
What you need for the cream cheese topping
- ¾ cup (170 g) cream cheese, softened
- Icing Sugar ⅓ cup (40 g) Redpath® Icing Sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (4 g) lemon zest
How to prepare the carrot cake waffles
- In a large bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, milk, yogurt, butter and Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar until smooth.
- In a third bowl using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the egg whites into the batter in two additions.
- Fold in the carrot, raisins and walnuts
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions. Grease with cooking spray or vegetable oil.
- Pour recommended amount of batter onto waffle iron - ours uses ⅓ cup (80 millilitres) of batter per waffle. Spread a bit with a spatula and close the waffle iron. Cook until steam stops and waffle is golden brown; 4 to 5 minutes.
- Keep waffles warm in a 200°F (93°C) oven, while preparing the cream cheese topping.
How to prepare the cream cheese topping
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until smooth.
- Serve topping generously atop warmed Carrot Cake Waffles.
- If you don’t have a waffle iron, this batter makes delicious pancakes. Heat a greased skillet over medium heat and pour in about ½ cup (120 millilitres) of batter for each pancake. Cook 3 minutes on each side.