When it’s time to entertain, this beautiful and delicious cheese log is the perfect addition to your savoury snack platter. The blend of sweet notes and savoury herbs, plus the nutty crunch of pistachios, make it a masterpiece of flavour and texture. Serve with your favourite crackers and crisps for an elegant presentation that’s irresistibly tasty.
2 hours (preferably overnight) chilling time
- 1 tbsp (2 g) fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped 1 tbsp (2 g) fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup (54 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed ¼ cup (54 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) orange juice 2 tbsp (30 ml) orange juice
- 2 pcs / 2 tsp (10 g) garlic cloves, minced 2 pcs / 2 tsp (10 g) garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp (1 g) cayenne pepper ½ tsp (1 g) cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup (30 g) dried cranberries, roughly chopped ¼ cup (30 g) dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- 1 cup (227 g) brick-style cream cheese, cubed 1 cup (227 g) brick-style cream cheese, cubed
- ½ cup (113 g) goat cheese ½ cup (113 g) goat cheese
- 2 tbsp (7 g) chives, finely chopped 2 tbsp (7 g) chives, finely chopped
- 2 tsp (4 g) orange zest, finely grated 2 tsp (4 g) orange zest, finely grated
- 1 cup (110 g) pistachios, roughly chopped 1 cup (110 g) pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp (5 g) fresh rosemary leaves, roughly chopped 1 tbsp (5 g) fresh rosemary leaves, roughly chopped
- Small heavy-bottomed saucepan Small heavy-bottomed saucepan
- Scale or dry measuring cups Scale or dry measuring cups
- Measuring spoons Measuring spoons
- Rubber spatula or wooden spoon Rubber spatula or wooden spoon
- Large bowl Large bowl
- Hand mixer Hand mixer
- Parchment paper OR plastic wrap Parchment paper OR plastic wrap
- Small bowl Small bowl
In a small heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar and orange juice. Place over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture starts to simmer.
Reduce heat to medium-low, add in the minced garlic and cayenne pepper. Stir until garlic is fragrant; about 30 seconds. Add in the chopped dried cranberries and stir to coat. Remove from heat. Set aside to cool completely.
In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, cream the cubed cream cheese and goat cheese together until smooth and well combined.
Add in the sugar-cranberry mixture, sprinkle in the chives and orange zest. Fold in by hand using a large rubber spatula until well combined.
Drop dollops of the cheese mixture onto a sheet of parchment (or large piece of plastic wrap) to form a rough log. Carefully form it into an even log and roll it tightly in the parchment, twisting the ends to seal. Place into the fridge to firm up and chill; at least 1 hour, preferably overnight, to allow flavours to develop.
In a small bowl, combine the chopped pistachio with the chopped rosemary and thyme.
Carefully unwrap the cheese log, keeping it on the parchment paper. Spread the pistachio mixture in a single layer to the width of the cheese log onto the parchment paper in front of the cheese. With the help of the parchment paper, carefully roll the cheese log into the pistachio and herbs, gently patting the mixture into the cheese until the entire log is covered. Rewrap the log in the parchment paper and chill for at least an hour or until ready to serve.
Store cheese log, well wrapped and placed into an airtight container, for up to 5 days in the fridge.
*Ensure cream cheese and goat cheese are at room temperature before proceeding with the recipe.
*If the cheeses are soft enough, the creaming of the cream cheese and goat cheese can easily be done by hand using a large rubber spatula.
*Zest orange (or any citrus fruit) before juicing and save zest for other recipes.
*If the cheese mixture is too soft to roll into a log, reshape the log again after it has chilled. Keep the cheese in the parchment paper, and roll on a flat work surface until the log is even. Place back into the fridge to firm up.
*If pressed for time, pop the formed cheese log into the freezer for 20 minutes before rolling into the pistachio-herb mixture.
*To prevent the cheese log from flattening on one side as it chills, place cheese log into 2 large drinking glasses or yogurt containers and lay them onto a kitchen towel-lined baking sheet to prevent containers from rolling around.
*Raw, unsalted, salted, and/or roasted pistachios can be used in this recipe.
*For times when allowing the flavours of the cheese to meld and firm up is impossible, place the mixture in a decorative bowl and coat the top with the pistachio-herb mixture.
*Serve with crackers, pita chips, toasted baguette slices, flatbread crackers, or plain nacho chips.
*Makes an excellent addition to a charcuterie or cheese board.
*Dried cranberries can be replaced with your preferred dried fruit (e.g. diced dried apricots, raisins, dried blueberries, pineapples, diced dates)
*Minced green onions or scallions can be used in place of chives if unavailable.
*Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar can be substituted for the Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar; note that the flavour will have more caramel undertone, and the log will be darker in colour.