Have you ever had the chance to cook with Marsala wine? Coming from Sicily, in Italy, this wine is often used to create a rich caramelized sauce - so we did just that. This Spiced Marsala Wine Cranberry Sauce is an amazing treat, and is just perfect for the holidays!
- 6 strips (5 g) orange zest 6 strips (5 g) orange zest
- 3 in (7.6 cm) cinnamon stick 3 in (7.6 cm) cinnamon stick
- 6 pcs (1 g) whole cloves 6 pcs (1 g) whole cloves
- ¼ tsp (1 g) juniper berries ¼ tsp (1 g) juniper berries
- ¼ tsp (1 g) black peppercorns ¼ tsp (1 g) black peppercorns
- ½ cup (120 ml) Marsala wine ½ cup (120 ml) Marsala wine
- ¼ cup (60 ml) orange juice, freshly squeezed ¼ cup (60 ml) orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tbsp (16 g) finely grated fresh ginger 1 tbsp (16 g) finely grated fresh ginger
- half vanilla bean half vanilla bean
- ⅔ cup (145 g) Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar, firmly packed ⅔ cup (145 g) Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar, firmly packed
- 4 cups (442 g) fresh cranberries 4 cups (442 g) fresh cranberries
- ¼ tsp (1 g) salt ¼ tsp (1 g) salt
Place the strips of orange zest, cinnamon stick, cloves, juniper berries and black peppercorns into a square piece of doubled cheesecloth or a disposable teabag.If using cheesecloth, tie off the bouquet garni with a length of kitchen twine. If using the disposable teabag, seal the bag.
In a medium pot, over medium-high heat, combine Marsala wine, orange juice, bouquet garni and ginger. With a paring knife, carefully slice the halved vanilla bean lengthwise, exposing the seeds. With the back of the knife, carefully scrape the seeds from the pod. Place seeds and pod into the pot; stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat and simmer; about 5 minutes.
Add the Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar, cranberries and salt.
Stir and bring mixture back to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer; 12 to 17 minutes, or until the cranberries begin to pop. Stir often to prevent sauce from burning.
Transfer mixture to a bowl, discarding the bouquet garni and vanilla pod. Allow the sauce to cool completely. Cover and place into the fridge to chill until ready to serve.
*This sauce will thicken as it cools.
*Use port or a dry red wine, if Marsala wine is not available.
*For more of a red sauce, substitute the orange juice with cranberry juice or pomegranate juice.
*Redpath® Dark Brown, Redpath® Golden Yellow and Redpath® Granulated Sugar can be used in place of the Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar.