Add some colour to your life with this gorgeous frozen treat! Caramelizing unveils the inner sweetness of carrots to pair with the bright citrus notes of orange and lime. Definitely not your usual scoop!
30 minutes chilling time
2 hours freezing time
- 1¾ cups (438 ml) heavy cream 1¾ cups (438 ml) heavy cream
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) orange juice, preferably freshly squeezed 2 tbsp (30 ml) orange juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lime juice, preferably freshly squeezed 2 tbsp (30 ml) lime juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- ¾ cup (150 g) Redpath Simply Raw™ Turbinado Sugar ¾ cup (150 g) Redpath Simply Raw™ Turbinado Sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- 2 tbsp (28 g) butter 2 tbsp (28 g) butter
- 4 cups (325 g) julienned or shredded carrots 4 cups (325 g) julienned or shredded carrots
- ½ cup (125 ml) milk ½ cup (125 ml) milk
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) pure maple syrup 3 tbsp (45 ml) pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) pure vanilla extract 1 tbsp (15 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (2 g) orange zest 1 tsp (2 g) orange zest
- 1 tsp (2 g) lime zest 1 tsp (2 g) lime zest
- 1 tsp (3 g) ground cinnamon 1 tsp (3 g) ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt ½ tsp (3 g) salt
Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
In a large measuring cup, whisk together the heavy cream with the orange juice and lime juice. Set aside in fridge until needed.
In a medium pot, combine the Redpath Simply Raw™ Turbinado Sugar with the water and butter. Place on medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add in the shredded carrots. Bring mixture back to a boil, and stir to coat carrots with the syrup. Cook until slightly softened; 5 minutes.
Remove from heat. Use tongs to remove carrots and evenly spread onto the prepared baking sheet. Place sugar-mixture back onto medium-high heat. Reduce liquid to a thick syrup; about 5 minutes.
Drizzle syrup over the carrots. Bake for 10 minutes or until edges begin to caramelize, stirring halfway through. Remove from oven.
Carefully scrape the hot carrots and any leftover sugar or caramelized bits from the baking sheet into a blender, or bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Add in the milk and let carrots cool; 5 minutes. Process carrots until smooth or desired consistency is reached. Leave mixture chunkier if carrot bits are wanted throughout the ice cream.
Stir carrot mixture into the heavy cream until well-blended. Stir in the pure maple syrup, pure vanilla extract, orange and lime zest, cinnamon, and salt until thoroughly combined. Place in fridge to chill; at least 30 minutes.
Transfer the cold mixture into the bowl of ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
For softer ice cream, serve immediately after being churned. For a firmer consistency, transfer to a container, cover well and freeze for 1 to 2 hours.
*If required, freeze the ice cream machine bowl for at least 24 hours before proceeding with recipe. Check your owner’s manual to be sure.
*Chill container that ice cream is going to be stored in for at least 30 minutes to ensure ice cream does not melt prematurely.
*Any Redpath brown sugar can be used in place of the Redpath Simply Raw™ Turbinado Sugar.
*Pre-julienned/shredded carrots found in grocery stores can be used.
*For a fun alternative, use purple heirloom carrots for a punch of colour.
*Remove ice cream from freezer about 5 to 10 minutes before scooping.