Salty Spiced Caramelized Sunflower Seeds
1 ¼ cup
10 to 12 minutes
What you need
- 1 tbsp (14 g) butter
- ¼ cup (55 g) Redpath® Demerara Sugar
- ½ tsp (2 ml) pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp (2 g) ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (1 g) ground cayenne pepper
- 1 ¼ cup (170 g) sunflower seeds
- ½ tsp (3 g) flaky sea salt (maldon sea salt or fleur de sel)
1. Preheat oven to 325℉ (160℃). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium microwaveable bowl, melt butter; about 20 to 30 seconds.
3. Stir in the Redpath ® Demerara Sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper until well combined.
4. Stir in the sunflower seeds, toss until well-coated.
5. Spread seeds out onto the prepared baking sheet.
6. Place into the preheated oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until dark golden brown in colour.
7. Take out of the oven, and while the mixture is still hot, sprinkle the flaky sea salt over the caramelized sunflower seeds.
8. Cool completely on the baking sheet. You may need to break the caramelized seeds apart. Sprinkle caramelized seeds over yogurt, ice cream, cereal, salads, or combine these seeds with nuts and dried fruit for a spicy treat. Store in an airtight container; up to a week.
- Omit cayenne pepper for a kid-friendly version.
- Redpath ® Dark Brown Sugar and Redpath ® Golden Yellow Sugar can be used with equally good results.
- Great for toppings and as a snack.