Sucre à la crème is a traditional French Canadian fudge that we can never get enough of. The ingredient list may be simple, but the taste is anything but! Smooth and creamy with notes of caramel, this fudge will melt on your tongue. It's wonderfully easy to make and would make a special gift for anyone you know. Be warned, though - once they taste this decadent fudge, they're sure to be asking for more!
- 1 cup (200 g) Redpath ® Granulated Sugar 1 cup (200 g) Redpath ® Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup packed (220 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar 1 cup packed (220 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) heavy cream (35%) 1 cup (250 mL) heavy cream (35%)
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) vanilla extract 1 teaspoon (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon (14 g) unsalted butter 1 tablespoon (14 g) unsalted butter
Line the bottom of an 8x8 square pan with plastic wrap or parchment paper, letting it hang over each side.
In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the sugars and cream, stirring together to combine.
Cook in the microwave for 4 minutes, then stir and cook for another 4 minutes. Note: The cooking time may vary depending on the wattage of the microwave you use.
Add the vanilla and butter and beat at high speed with an electric mixer until it thickens and loses its gloss, about 2 minutes.
Spread in the prepared pan, spreading it evenly. Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes or until the fudge is firm. Remove from the pan and cut into squares.
*Be sure to use an electric hand mixer to give you an ideal soft texture. A hand whisk doesn't allow you to incorporate enough air fast enough.
*This candy treat gets better with age. Let it sit at room temperature for 2 days, covered, for best results.