Salt Water Taffy
What you need
- 1 cup (200 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- ½ tbsp (5 g) cornstarch
- ⅔ cup (158 ml) corn syrup
- 1 tbsp (14 g) butter
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- ½ cup (118 ml) water
- flavour extracts of your choice such as strawberry, lemon, peppermint or orange
- gel food coloring
How to prepare
1. In a heavy bottomed saucepan stir together the sugar and cornstarch. Add the corn syrup, butter, salt and water and cook, stirring, over medium-high heat until boiling. Stop stirring and continue boiling until mixture reaches 135°C (275 º F) on a candy thermometer (or until a bit of taffy dropped into a cup of ice water forms a firm yet pliable ball).
2. Pour taffy into heatproof bowls and add food colouring and flavourings (amounts of each will depend on desired shade and strength of flavour, so add sparingly as more can be added during the pulling process). No more than three colours are recommended as it is difficult to rotate the pulling between too many colours.
3. Pour onto a greased silicone mat or marble slab, and when cool enough to handle begin pulling with buttered hands.
4. Pull taffy into a long strand and then fold it back on itself. If desired add more colour or flavour while starting to pull. Repeat movement until taffy is difficult to stretch and light in colour. This can take up 15 - 20 minutes for each colour, so rotate between colours about every five minutes.
5. Pull out into a strand about 1 ” (2.5 cm) wide and ¾ ” (2 cm) thick. With greased scissors cut into 1 ½ ” (4 cm) pieces and wrap in waxed paper.
- Try coiling two colours together for a multi-hued effect.