Piped Cream Cheese Peppermints
4 hours 25 minutes
What you need:
- ½ cup (115 g) full-fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tsp (5 g) unsalted butter
- ⅛ tsp (1 g) fine sea salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) peppermint extract
- ¼ tsp (2 ml) vanilla extract
- teal gel food colouring (or desired colour)
- 4 cups (480 g) Redpath® Icing Sugar, sifted
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, blend cream cheese until creamy and smooth. Meanwhile, in a small microwave-proof bowl, melt together butter and salt, about 10 to 20 seconds. Stir to dissolve salt. Set aside.
2. Add melted butter to cream cheese, cream until butter and salt is fully incorporated. Add extracts and a dot of food colouring (use a skewer or toothpick to control the amount, as gel food colourings are very strong). Mix until the food colouring is evenly blended throughout the cream cheese mixture.
3. Sift in the sifted Redpath® Icing Sugar in parts, blend well after each addition before adding more. Cream together until all icing sugar is fully incorporated into the cream cheese.
4. Place cream cheese mixture into a piping bag fitted with the desired star tip. Pipe desired shapes onto prepared baking sheet. Let stand at room temperature to completely dry for at least 4 hours.
5. Store in an airtight container, layered between parchment or wax paper, in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Sifting the icing sugar is key to a smooth and creamy mint.
- Different flavourings and extracts can be used in place of the peppermint (e.g. vanilla, lemon, orange, coconut, rum, cherry, banana, chocolate). Use a different food-colouring to match the flavour.