For a fall or winter treat, a slice of this perfectly spiced loaf will hit the spot. Rich and fragrant ginger, cloves, and cinnamon give it a homey flavour, and the bright taste of citrus adds a light and refreshing touch. You’ll love it with a drizzle of syrup or glaze on top! Or, serve it warmed and buttered with mulled cider, port, or coffee. Plus, a loaf makes a wonderful gift!
Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar
Light-coloured and just right for baking, the subtle notes of caramel and moist texture make it ideal for allowing delicate flavours to shine through in your creations.
Redpath® Special Fine Granulated Sugar 2kg
An economically-sized bag of our versatile granulated sugar, it’s ideal for sweetening coffee and tea, baking, preserving, canning, and cooking.
- ⅔ cup (167 ml) orange juice (preferably freshly squeezed) ⅔ cup (167 ml) orange juice (preferably freshly squeezed)
- 1½ cups (233 g) chopped dates, pitted 1½ cups (233 g) chopped dates, pitted
- 2 tbsp (12 g) finely grated orange zest 2 tbsp (12 g) finely grated orange zest
- 2 tsp (10 ml) pure vanilla extract 2 tsp (10 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour
- 1¼ tsp (6 g) baking powder 1¼ tsp (6 g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 g) baking soda 1 tsp (5 g) baking soda
- 1½ tsp (3 g) ground ginger 1½ tsp (3 g) ground ginger
- 1 tsp (3 g) ground cinnamon 1 tsp (3 g) ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- ⅛ tsp (1 g) ground cloves ⅛ tsp (1 g) ground cloves
- ⅔ cup (144 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed ⅔ cup (144 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed
- ⅓ cup (67 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar ⅓ cup (67 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- ⅓ cup (76 g) butter, melted & cooled ⅓ cup (76 g) butter, melted & cooled
- 1 egg, lightly beaten 1 egg, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease and line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving about a 2-inch overhang on the longer sides for easy unmolding.
In a small pot, bring orange juice to a simmer. Remove from heat and add the pitted dates, orange zest, and vanilla extract. Set aside to cool.
In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and cloves until thoroughly blended.
In the orange-date mixture, add in the Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, Redpath® Granulated Sugar, melted butter, and beaten egg. Whisk until well mixed.
Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into the well. With a rubber spatula, quickly fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until no flour streaks remain; do not overmix. Some lumps are fine.
Transfer the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Place into the preheated oven and bake for 50 to 60 minutes until loaf is golden in colour, and a toothpick inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
Remove from oven and allow loaf to cool slightly in pan; about 10 minutes. Run a small offset spatula around the loaf. With the help of the parchment paper, carefully unmold loaf and place onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Serve this loaf with Brown Sugar Coffee Glaze.
The loaf can be kept in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic wrap and kept at room temperature for up to a week, or frozen for up to a month.
*Before juicing any citrus fruit, zest the fruit and use in the recipe or save for future recipes by wrapping the zest in plastic wrap or placing into a small freezer safe bag.
*Firmly roll the citrus fruit on your work surface with the palm of your hand to maximize the amount of juice that is squeezed from it.
*An overmixed batter will create a loaf that is tough and produce a crumb that may have tunnels (large holes).
*Feel free to substitute the dates with any dried fruit, like figs, cherries, or cranberries
Related recipe: Brown Sugar Coffee Glaze