There’s nothing like a delicious treat waiting for you to make getting out of bed a lot easier! These hearty bars are packed with apples, spice, and everything nice. We’ve topped them with a sweet-tart drizzle to wake up your tastebuds and kickstart the day. They’re a great snack to get you over that midday slump, too.
Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar
Slightly mellow molasses flavour and moist texture. Use it in baking and sprinkled on cereals, yogurt and French toast.
Redpath® Icing Sugar
Use it to make the smoothest frostings, icings, and glazes you’ve ever seen for the finishing touch on your cakes, cupcakes, and more.
For the bars:
- 2 cups (176 g) large flaked oats 2 cups (176 g) large flaked oats
- ½ cup (109 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed ½ cup (109 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed
- ¼ cup (57 g) butter ¼ cup (57 g) butter
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) honey 3 tbsp (45 ml) honey
- 1 cup (125 g) grated apple 1 cup (125 g) grated apple
- ¼ cup (60 ml) unsweetened almond milk ¼ cup (60 ml) unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup (60 ml) unsweetened applesauce ¼ cup (60 ml) unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp (4 g) lemon zest 2 tsp (4 g) lemon zest
- 2 tsp (10 ml) pure vanilla extract 2 tsp (10 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups (184 g) oat flour 2 cups (184 g) oat flour
- ⅓ cup (47 g) whole almonds, toasted and roughly chopped ⅓ cup (47 g) whole almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup (40 g) dried apple rings, roughly chopped ⅓ cup (40 g) dried apple rings, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp (3 g) cinnamon 1 tsp (3 g) cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2 g) baking powder ½ tsp (2 g) baking powder
- ½ tsp (1 g) ground ginger ½ tsp (1 g) ground ginger
- ¼ tsp (2 g) salt ¼ tsp (2 g) salt
For the drizzle:
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice, freshly squeezed 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp (3 g) sumac 1 tsp (3 g) sumac
- 1½ cup (180 g) Redpath® Icing Sugar 1½ cup (180 g) Redpath® Icing Sugar
- ⅛ tsp (1 g) salt ⅛ tsp (1 g) salt
Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Evenly spread the large flaked oats on the pan. Place the oats into the preheated oven and toast until fragrant and golden; about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely. Keep oven on.
Lightly grease and line a 9 x 9-inch pan with parchment paper leaving about a 2-inch overhang over sides to ensure easy unmolding. Set aside.
In a small pot combine the Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, butter, and honey. Heat over medium heat until the sugar and butter are melted and mixture just begins to simmer. Remove from heat. Stir in the grated apple, unsweetened almond milk, unsweetened applesauce, lemon zest, and vanilla extract until thoroughly combined.
In a large bowl, combine the toasted oats, oat flour, almonds, dried apple pieces, cinnamon, baking powder, ground ginger, and salt until evenly mixed.
Pour the wet ingredients into the oat mixture and mix until no dry pockets remain. Transfer the oat-apple mixture into prepared baking pan and firmly pat mixture down with a rubber spatula to an even thickness. Smooth out the top of the mixture with an offset spatula.
Place pan into the preheated oven and bake until golden in colour and firm to the touch; 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven and place pan onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Once bars are completely cooled, carefully lift the bars from the pan by using the parchment paper overhangs. With a sharp knife cut into 15 bars.
For the Lemon Sumac drizzle:
In a small bowl combine lemon juice with the sumac. Let sit for about 5 minutes.
In a medium bowl whisk together the Redpath® Icing Sugar and salt until well blended. Whisk in the lemon-sumac mixture until icing is smooth and well blended.
Drizzle the lemon-sumac glaze over the completely cooled bars. Allow icing to harden before serving.
Bars will keep in an airtight container, layered between parchment paper, for up to 4 days. They will keep in the fridge for about a week, or in the freezer for up to a month. If eating from frozen, remove from the freezer and allow to thaw at room temperature for 20 minutes. It can be eaten as is or warmed up in the microwave.
*If desired, peel apple before grating, but the peel adds a pop of colour and additional fibre to the bars.
*Use any combination of baking apples for the grated apple. We recommend Granny Smith for tartness and/or Honey Crisp, Pink Lady, or Golden Delicious for sweetness.
*You can make oat flour by placing large flaked oats into a food processor and processing until finely ground. Be aware that 1 cup of oats yields less than 1 cup of oat flour, so keep processing in batches until you have enough.
*To quickly set the lemon-sumac drizzle, place bars into the fridge for about 5 minutes.
*Bars can be eaten at room temperature, from the fridge, or placed into the microwave for 30 seconds and served warm. (Note: glaze will melt into the bar when warmed.)