Maple Syrup Crepe Cake
What you need for the crȇpes
- 2 cups (250 g) all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (25 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- ½ tsp (4 g) coarse salt
- 3 cups (750 ml) whole milk
- 8 large eggs
- 6 tbsp (84 g) unsalted butter, melted
What you need for the maple frosting
- 1 cup (230 g) butter, unsalted, room temperature
- 2 cups (240 g) Redpath® Icing Sugar
- ½ cup (125 ml) maple syrup
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp (2 g) kosher salt, fine
- ¼ cup (60 ml) maple sugar, for topping
How to prepare the crȇpes
1. Combine and sift all purpose flour, salt, and Redpath ® Granulated Sugar into a large bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, combine and whisk whole milk, eggs, and unsalted butter. Add to dry mixture until just incorporated. Be careful not to overmix.
3. Prepare a tray lined with parchment paper.
4. Heat a 9 ” buttered frying pan or crȇpe pan to medium to high heat. Add ¼ cup of batter at a time swirl the pan to spread the batter to the edges of the pan.
5. A crȇpe is done when the batter becomes matte and both sides are golden brown.
6. Place finished crȇpe next to each other to cool on a parchment paper lined tray. Only stack 2-3 so they don’t stick to the paper or to each other.
7. Prepare 20 - 24 crȇpe.
How to prepare the maple frosting
1. Beat butter for 3 to 5 minutes with an electric hand mixer, until light and fluffy.
2. Add Redpath ® Icing Sugar a little at a time and beat on low speed. Turn to high speed once all icing sugar has been added and beat for 1 minute.
3. Add remaining ingredients and beat on low speed until all combined.
How to assemble
1. Place first crȇpe on plate or cake tray. Add a heaping tablespoon of maple frosting and use an offset spatula to even out the layer. Be sure to spread icing to the edges of the crȇpe, as they are thicker in the middle.
2. Repeat until all crȇpe are stacked.
3. Top with maple syrup and enjoy.
Crȇpe batter can be made a day in advance. The individual crȇpes can be made prior to assembly as well just be sure to keep them tightly wrapped.