1. Combine water and sugar in a pot and cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Don't worry if the mixture starts to boil, just lower the heat slightly and wait for the sugar to dissolve completely.
2. Once the sugar has fully dissolved, remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes or 1 hour. Use a funnel to pour the simple syrup into a container. Syrups can be used immediately or stored in the fridge for up to 1 week in a sealed container.
For mint simple syrup:
1. Add in 1 tbsp (2 g) of fresh mint leaves to simple syrup recipe, stirring them in at the beginning with the sugar and water. Strain before storing and add another 1 tbsp (2 g) of mint leaves to the syrup. Seal and store in fridge.
For the apple cinnamon simple syrup:
1. Add 2 cinnamon sticks and 1 sliced apple to simple syrup recipe. Remove apples from the syrup after it's cooled and before storing, but leave in the cinnamon sticks. Seal and store in fridge.
For the orange simple syrup:
1. Add zest of one orange to simple syrup recipe and replace 1 cup (250 mL) water with 2/3 cup (156 mL) fresh orange juice, and 1/3 cup (78 mL) water. Once cooled, seal and store in the fridge.
For the blueberry lavender simple syrup:
1. Add 1 cup (148 g) fresh blueberries and 1 tsp (3 g) dried lavender to simple syrup recipe. Strain the syrup before storing in the fridge in a sealed container.