Homemade simple syrups
What you need:
- 1 cup (500 mL) water
- 1 cup (200 g) Redpath Granulated Sugar or Redpath Turbinado Sugar
How to Prepare:
1. Combine water and sugar in a pot and cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Don't worry if the mixture starts to boil, just lower the heat slightly and wait for the sugar to dissolve completely.
2. Once the sugar has fully dissolved, remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes or 1 hour. Use a funnel to pour the simple syrup into a container. Syrups can be used immediately or stored in the fridge for up to 1 week in a sealed container.
- Mint Simple Syrup: Add in 1 tbsp (2 g) of fresh mint leaves to simple syrup recipe, stirring them in at the beginning with the sugar and water. Strain before storing and add another 1 tbsp (2 g) of mint leaves to the syrup. Seal and store in fridge.
- Apple Cinnamon Simple Syrup: Add 2 cinnamon sticks and 1 sliced apple to simple syrup recipe. Remove apples from the syrup after it's cooled and before storing, but leave in the cinnamon sticks. Seal and store in fridge.
- Orange Simple Syrup:Add zest of one orange to simple syrup recipe and replace 1 cup (250 mL) water with 2/3 cup (156 mL) fresh orange juice, and 1/3 cup (78 mL) water. Once cooled, seal and store in the fridge.
- Blueberry Lavender: Add 1 cup (148 g) fresh blueberries and 1 tsp (3 g) dried lavender to simple syrup recipe. Strain the syrup before storing in the fridge in a sealed container.
*Use these syrups to make your own flavoured soda just by adding a few tablespoons of your favourite flavoured syrup.
*Add a few tablespoons of syrup to sweeten your tea.
*Use for cocktails, such as mojitos or classic lime margaritas.
*Keep layer cakes moist by brushing the layers with simple syrup before stacking and frosting them.