Frostings 101: 7 Minute Frosting
4 cups of frosting
What you need:
- 1 1/2 cups (300 g) plus 2 tbsp (25 g) Redpath Granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup (156 mL) water
- 2 tbsp (42 g) light corn syrup
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
1. In a small saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups of sugar with the water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Place a candy thermometer in the pot and cook mixture until it reaches 230°C (460°F).
2. While the sugar is cooking, whip your egg whites. Using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk egg whites on medium high until soft peaks form. Once soft peaks form, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar while the mixer is still running.
3. Once the sugar mixture reaches 230øC (460øF), remove from the heat and pour the syrup down the side of the mixing bowl in a steady stream. Turn the speed up to medium-high and whisk until mixture has cooled completely (touch the bowl to see if it has cooled), and stiff peaks form. It's best to ice with this frosting as soon as it's made, but if necessary, you can keep it in the fridge overnight in an airtight container.