Chinese 5-Spice and Pecan Scones
- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (85 g) Redpath® Golden Brown Sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp (15 g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (6 g) Chinese 5-spice spice blend
- 3/4 tsp (4 g) salt
- 1/2 cup (115 g) unsalted cold butter, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp (217 ml) 35% cream
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (60 g) chopped pecans
- ¼ cup (45 g) Redpath® Turbinado Sugar
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C), and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl whisk together flour, Redpath® Golden Brown Sugar, baking powder, Chinese 5-spice, and salt.
Add cold butter and using a pastry cutter work in butter until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Whisk together 3/4 cup (177 ml) cream and vanilla extract.
Fold pecans into batter. Add the cream and toss with a fork until the dough comes together in moist clumps, adding more cream if the dough is too dry. Gather the dough into a ball.
Press out into an 8-inch circle (1 inch thick) on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 8 wedges and transfer to prepared baking dish. Place in freezer for 10 minutes.
Brush tops with remaining cream and sprinkle with Redpath® Turbinado Sugar.
Place in preheated oven and bake until golden brown and a tester comes out clean; about 17-20 minutes. Let cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Chill dry mixture in the fridge for 20 minutes before adding cold butter to get a lighter and fluffier scone.