Brown Butter Cracker Toffee
10 to 12 minutes
What you need
- 1 sleeve (approximately 45 to 48 crackers) salted soda/saltine crackers
- ½ cup (85 g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup (85 g) milk chocolate chips
- ½ cup (85 g) peanut butter chips
- 1 cup (227 g) unsalted butter
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) heavy cream
- ¾ cup (163 g) Redpath ® Demerara Sugar, packed
- ¼ cup (54 g) Redpath ® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- ½ cup (72 g) toasted nuts (almonds and peanuts), roughly chopped
- ½ tsp (3 g) flaky sea salt (eg. maldon salt)
How to prepare
1. Preheat oven to 375°F(190°C).
2. Grease and line an 18 x 13 inch (45 x 33 centimetre) rimmed baking sheet with lightly greased parchment.
3. Spread crackers in a single layer onto the parchment. Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, combine semi-sweet chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, and peanut butter chips. Set aside.
5. Melt butter in a medium heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. Continue to heat butter over medium heat until it begins to smell nutty and turns a deep amber colour. Once browned, remove from heat and allow to cool; about 5 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream, Redpath ® Demerara Sugar, Redpath ® Golden Yellow Sugar, and salt until well combined. Place pot back onto the heat. Bring mixture to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes without stirring.
6. Pour mixture over the crackers; do not worry if the crackers are not completely covered.
7. Place crackers into the preheated oven and bake for 6 to 7 minutes. The mixture should be bubbling and spread over the crackers.
8. Take out of the oven and immediately sprinkle the crackers with the chips. Wait about a minute before using an offset spatula or a spoon to evenly spread the melting chips over the crackers.
9. Immediately sprinkle the toasted almonds and peanuts over the melted chocolate. Sprinkle the flaky sea salt over the chocolate and nuts. Allow the mixture to cool and harden at room temperature; about an hour or so. Break or cut into pieces.
10. Store in an airtight container in a single layer, in a cool location for up to 2 weeks, or place container into the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Replace saltine crackers with pretzels for a unique twist to this recipe.
- If chips are not melting completely, place baking sheet back into the oven for about 30 seconds. Spread melting chips with a spatula or spoon.
- Any nuts may be used, or may be omitted completely.
- Do not worry if there are browned bits in the butter, these will help to enhance the nutty flavour.
- Ensure that the heavy cream and sugars are homogenous before placing pot back onto the heat as it may risk splitting if not.