Who said spring rolls were strictly a savoury dish? Here apples and spice are wrapped in little portable bundles that are perfect for fall picnics and school treats for the kids. Serve them on their own or try dipping them in our salted caramel fondue.
- 2 green apples, peeled and julienned 2 green apples, peeled and julienned
- 1 lemon, juiced 1 lemon, juiced
- ⅓ cup (70 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar ⅓ cup (70 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- 1 tbsp (8 g) cornstarch 1 tbsp (8 g) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (4g) ground cinnamon 1 tsp (4g) ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (1 g) ground nutmeg ¼ tsp (1 g) ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon (1 g) ground allspice ¼ teaspoon (1 g) ground allspice
- ⅛ tsp salt ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 16 egg roll wrappers 16 egg roll wrappers
- Cooking spray for coating Cooking spray for coating
Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
Place the apples and lemon juice together in a bowl and toss to coat.
Add Redpath® Granulated Sugar, followed by cornstarch, spices and salt, toss to coat.
Allow the mixture to sit for about 10 minutes. This gives the flavours time to combine and allows the cornstarch to hydrate.
Once the filling has been rested lay 1 egg roll wrapper onto a clean surface and brush edge with a 1 inch perimeter of egg wash.
Spread approximately 3 tablespoons of the filling across one side of the prepared egg roll wrapper.
Fold the sides over the filling. Carefully roll the filling tightly in the wrapper and press gently to seal the edge.
Place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment and coat with a thin layer of cooking spray. Repeat with the remaining filling until all the filling has been used.
Bake egg rolls for 20 to 25 minutes or until they are golden brown and crisp.
Serve them while warm with a little caramel sauce or sweetened whipped cream. You could also allow them to cool and pack them as perfect portable treats for kids heading to school.
*If you're not a fan of any of the spices included in the recipe feel free to mix and match some of your favourites like ground ginger with cinnamon and clove.