Apple Spring Rolls
16 spring rolls
What you need
- 2 green apples, peeled and julienned
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/3 cup (70g) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (8g) cornstarch
- 1 teaspoons (4g) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon (1g) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon (1g) ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.75g) salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 16 egg roll wrappers
- Cooking spray for coating
How to prepare
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. Place the apples and lemon juice together in a bowl and toss to coat.
3. Add Redpath Granulated Sugar, followed by cornstarch, spices and salt, toss to coat.
4. Allow the mixture to sit for about 10 minutes. This gives the flavours time to combine and allows the cornstarch to hydrate.
5. Once the filling has been rested lay 1 egg roll wrapper onto a clean surface and brush edge with a 1 inch perimeter of egg wash.
6. Spread approximately 3 tablespoons of the filling across one side of the prepared egg roll wrapper.
7. Fold the sides over the filling. Carefully roll the filling tightly in the wrapper and press gently to seal the edge.
8. Place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment and coat with a thin layer of cooking spray. Repeat with the remaining filling until all the filling has been used.
9. Bake egg rolls for 20 to 25 minutes or until they are golden brown and crisp.
10. Serve them while warm with a little caramel sauce or sweetened whipped cream. You could also allow them to cool and pack them as perfect portable treats for kids heading to school.
- If you're not a fan of any of the spices included in the recipe feel free to mix and match some of your favourites like ground ginger with cinnamon and clove.