We were inspired by the outdoor-focused lifestyle and exciting taste trends of the Pacific coast to create this uniquely tempting and refreshing drink. Naturally fizzy and brimming with exotic flavours, it’s a customizable cocktail that’s ready for a party!
20 minutes chilling time
For the simple syrup:
- ¼ cup (60 ml) lime juice, freshly squeezed ¼ cup (60 ml) lime juice, freshly squeezed
- ⅓ cup (67 g) Redpath Simply Raw™ Turbinado Sugar ⅓ cup (67 g) Redpath Simply Raw™ Turbinado Sugar
- 5 strips lime zest 5 strips lime zest
- 3 tbsp (15 g) shredded coconut (unsweetened), lightly toasted 3 tbsp (15 g) shredded coconut (unsweetened), lightly toasted
- 3 inches (24 g) fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into rounds 3 inches (24 g) fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into rounds
For the cocktail:
- 1½ cups (approximately 12) ice cubes 1½ cups (approximately 12) ice cubes
- ½ cup (125 ml) canned coconut milk, shaken or mixed well ½ cup (125 ml) canned coconut milk, shaken or mixed well
- Simple syrup (recipe above) Simple syrup (recipe above)
- ¾ cup (188 ml) gin ¾ cup (188 ml) gin
- 2 cups (500 ml) ginger kombucha 2 cups (500 ml) ginger kombucha
- Lime slices Lime slices
- Shredded coconut Shredded coconut
In a small pot over medium heat, combine lime juice, the Redpath Simply Raw™ Turbinado Sugar, strips of lime zest, toasted coconut, and ginger slices.
Bring mixture to a boil and stir to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to low and simmer; 2 minutes.
Turn off heat, cover to allow flavours to blend, and allow to cool at room temperature; 10 minutes.
Using a sieve, strain simple syrup into a bowl or measuring cup, pressing down on the solids to extract as much of the syrup as possible. Discard solids and transfer syrup to the fridge to cool completely; 10 minutes.
In a blender, combine ice cubes, canned coconut milk, chilled simple syrup, and the gin. Process until smooth.
Pour mixture into a pitcher and stir in the ginger kombucha and pour into four glasses. Alternatively, divide mixture into four glasses and top each cocktail with ½ cup (125 ml) of the ginger kombucha.
If desired, garnish each cocktail with a lime slice and a sprinkling of shredded coconut.
*Regular kombucha or different flavoured kombuchas that pair well with coconut can be used in place of the ginger kombucha.
*Kombucha can readily be found in most grocery stores and supermarkets. If not in the regular, cold drinks aisle, look for it in the health or organic section. Can also be found in the refrigerated section of most health food stores.
*Vodka can be used in place of the gin. For a more tropical twist on the drink, use dark rum or coconut flavoured rum in place of the gin.
*For additional coconut flavour, add 1 teaspoon (5 ml) coconut extract when blending.