Sweet Cherry Beet Smoothie Bowl
approximately 3 cups (2 servings)
For the beet simple syrup
- 1/2 cup (109 g) Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
- 1 large (260 g) beet, peeled, halved, and cut into 1/8“ thick slices
- 1 inch (18 g) ginger, peeled; sliced or grated
For the smoothie
- 1 1/4 cup (205 g) frozen cherries
- 1 medium (160 g) Granny Smith apple, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium (118 g) peeled ripe banana, sliced and frozen
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) beet simple syrup
- 1/2 tsp (2 g) cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp (1 g) salt
- sliced beets
- banana slices
- flaked or shredded coconut
- pumpkin seeds
In a small saucepan, combine the Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar with water. Add the sliced beets and ginger.
Place onto medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally to ensure beet slices and ginger don’t burn. Boil for 2 minutes, or until beets and ginger are fork tender, submerging the slices into the syrup. Remove from heat. Allow to cool to room temperature. Cover and place into fridge to chill until cold.
Drain and reserve a few slices of the sliced beets for garnish. Reserve simple syrup.
In a blender, combine remaining beet slices and ginger from the simple syrup, frozen cherries, cubed apple, banana slices, beet simple syrup, Greek yogurt, and cinnamon.
Blend until smooth.
Transfer smoothie to bowls. Garnish with reserved sliced beets and any fruit, dried fruit, berries, or nuts desired.
- The beet simple syrup can be made the night before.
- Leftover beet simple syrup can be drizzled on salads, or used in cocktails.
- Keep all ingredients as cold as possible, if not frozen.