1. In a small pot, combine milk and water and place over medium heat until a thermometer reads 110°F (43°C).
2. Pour contents into the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl.
3. Stir and dissolve 1 tablespoon (12 g) of the Redpath® Organic Granulated Sugar into the warm liquid. Sprinkle yeast over the surface and gently stir in. Let sit until foamy; about 5 minutes.
4. Add in the remaining Redpath® Organic Granulated Sugar (¼ cup / 50 g) and melted butter and bread flour. Sprinkle the salt over the flour. With the hook attachment, or using a rubber spatula, knead the dough on medium-low speed until combined. Increase speed to medium and knead until dough is smooth, slightly tacky, and pulls away from the bowl; about 5 minutes. If doing by hand, turn dough out onto a clean work surface and knead dough until smooth but still slightly tacky; about 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Form dough into a ball and place into a lightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel and place into a warm, draft-free location until dough doubles in size; about 1 hour.
6. Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
7. Test to see if dough has risen enough by poking the dough. If an indent remains it is ready to be deflated. Deflate the risen dough by pressing the dough. Turn dough onto a very lightly floured work surface. Pat out into a circle. Using a sharp chef’s knife or bench scraper, divide dough into roughly 12 equal sized portions.
8. Take one piece of the dough and roll into a thin rope about 25 to 30 inches long. Form rope into a pretzel shape. Repeat process with the remaining pieces.
9. In a large pot or dutch oven, bring the 8 cups of water and the baking soda to a simmer. Turn off heat.
10. Carefully drop 1 or 2 pretzels into the hot baking soda-water bath. Soak for about 30 seconds, spooning the water mixture over the pretzel. With a slotted spoon remove pretzel and place onto the prepared baking sheet. Space pretzels evenly apart.