Summer fruits are perfect for a good old-fashioned pandowdy, which is like a cobbler with pastry on top instead of biscuits. Easier and faster to make than a pie, it’s a dessert that makes the most of seasonal ingredients. This recipe comes from celebrity chef Julie Van Rosendaal, who likens it to an upside-down galette with it’s simple, anyone-can-do-it approach to pastry.
Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar
Light-coloured and just right for baking, the subtle notes of caramel and moist texture make it ideal for allowing delicate flavours to shine through in your creations.
Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar
A rich and unique sugar with our deepest flavour, the large crystals add a bit of crunch to your baking and crumble-style toppings.
For the filling:
- 2½ to 3 cups (~454 g / about 1 lb) pitted stone fruits, such as peaches, plums, apricots, cherries, chopped 2½ to 3 cups (~454 g / about 1 lb) pitted stone fruits, such as peaches, plums, apricots, cherries, chopped
- 2½ to 3 cups (335 g to 402 g) rhubarb, chopped 2½ to 3 cups (335 g to 402 g) rhubarb, chopped
- ½ cup (109 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed ½ cup (109 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed
- 1-2 tbsp (8 g to 16 g) cornstarch (use more for juicier fruit, like plums and berries) 1-2 tbsp (8 g to 16 g) cornstarch (use more for juicier fruit, like plums and berries)
For the topping:
- ½ pkg thawed puff pastry, or 1 recipe for Pie Crust ½ pkg thawed puff pastry, or 1 recipe for Pie Crust
- Cream or beaten egg, for brushing Cream or beaten egg, for brushing
- Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar, for sprinkling (optional) Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
Preheat oven to 350˚F (177˚C). Spread fruit into a deep-dish pie plate or similar-sized baking dish.
In a small bowl, stir together the Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar and cornstarch and sprinkle over the fruit. Gently toss to combine.
Roll the pastry (or Pie Crust) out about ⅛-inch thick and cut or tear into pieces an inch or two long and half as wide. Lay pastry pieces randomly and overlapping over top of the fruit.
Brush with beaten egg or cream, and sprinkle with the Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar.
Bake for 45 minutes, or until the fruit is soft and bubbling and the topping is golden and crunchy.
*Because it’s served by the spoonful rather than by the slice, don’t worry about how much the filling thickens and sets.
*Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar may be substituted for the Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar.
*For a crunchier topping, substitute Redpath Simply Raw™ Turbinado Sugar for the Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar.
*Serve with ice cream, frozen yogurt, or a non-dairy frozen dessert for a more decadent treat.
*Can be made with a single fruit plus rhubarb, or mix and match your favourite summer fruits.
*Use fresh, in-season fruit for the most flavourful results.
*Frozen fruit may be used, also.
*Leftover pie dough can be used to make a pie, a free-form galette, or frozen for future use.