This spiced concoction borrows from the pumpkin spice craze, mixes in seasonal apple cider, a splash of rum, and adds some bubbles. The result - the ultimate cool-weather cocktail. Serve it at any fall or winter gathering.
25 minutes cooling and chilling period
For the pumpkin spice syrup:
- 1 cup (200 g) Redpath Simply Raw™ Turbinado Sugar 1 cup (200 g) Redpath Simply Raw™ Turbinado Sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) water 1 cup (250 ml) water
- ½ cup (125 ml) pumpkin puree ½ cup (125 ml) pumpkin puree
- 2 pcs whole star anise 2 pcs whole star anise
- 1 6” cinnamon stick 1 6” cinnamon stick
- 1 inch (12 g) fresh ginger, sliced into coins 1 inch (12 g) fresh ginger, sliced into coins
- ½ tsp (2 g) ground allspice ½ tsp (2 g) ground allspice
- ¼ tsp (1 g) ground cloves ¼ tsp (1 g) ground cloves
- ¼ tsp (1 g) ground nutmeg ¼ tsp (1 g) ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp (1 g) ground mace ¼ tsp (1 g) ground mace
- ⅛ tsp (1 g) ground black pepper, preferably freshly ground ⅛ tsp (1 g) ground black pepper, preferably freshly ground
For the cocktail:
- ¾ cup (188 ml) gold or dark rum ¾ cup (188 ml) gold or dark rum
- ½ cup (125 ml) apple cider ½ cup (125 ml) apple cider
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp (90 ml) pumpkin spice syrup ¼ cup + 2 tbsp (90 ml) pumpkin spice syrup
- ¼ cup (60 ml) lemon juice, preferably freshly squeezed ¼ cup (60 ml) lemon juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- ⅔ cup (167 ml) club soda ⅔ cup (167 ml) club soda
For the pumpkin spice syrup:
In a heavy-bottomed pot, combine the Redpath Simply Raw™ Turbinado Sugar, water, pumpkin puree, star anise, cinnamon stick, sliced ginger, allspice, cloves, nutmeg, mace, and black pepper.
Place over medium heat and stir until sugar is dissolved and puree is mixed through. When syrup begins to simmer, simmer for about 5 minutes; do not boil. Remove from heat and cool; 10 minutes.
Strain the warm mixture through a cheesecloth-lined mesh sieve into a clean jar or bowl. Place the pumpkin spice syrup into the fridge to chill completely; at least 15 minutes.
Discard star anise, cinnamon stick, and sliced ginger. Leftover puree can be saved and used as a spread or stirred into yogurt or oatmeal.
For serving individual cocktails:
In a cocktail shaker half-filled with ice, add 1½ oz (45 ml) of rum, 2 tablespoons (30 ml) apple cider, pumpkin spice syrup (1 tablespoon + 1½ teaspoons / 22 ml), and lemon juice (1 tablespoon / 15 ml).
Strain into glasses filled with ice.
Top with club soda.
For serving a group:
In a large pitcher filled halfway with ice, pour in the rum, apple cider, pumpkin spice syrup, and lemon juice. Stir vigorously to thoroughly combine.
Add in the club soda and gently stir.
Serve in four to six goblets or tumblers and decorate with desired garnishes.
Alternatively, omit club soda from the pitcher, and top each glass with desired amount of club soda.
*Canned or homemade pureed pumpkin can be used.
*Leftover pumpkin spice syrup can be kept in a clean jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Syrup can be used to flavour coffees, lattes, and/or teas. Alternatively, it can be drizzled over toast, oatmeal, yogurt, or ice cream.
*For a non-alcoholic version, replace the rum with ginger beer.
*Make the syrup a few hours or days in advance for ease in preparing the cocktails.