Lemon Cranberry Scones
What you need for the scones
- 2 tbsp (14g) Redpath Icing Sugar
- 1 cup (200g) Redpath Granulated Sugar
- 1 tbsp (15ml) fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups (375g) all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (10g) baking powder
- 1 tbsp (5g) lemon zest
- 1 tsp (6g) salt
- 3/4 cup (170g) chilled unsalted butter, diced
- 1 cup (120g) dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup (90g) coarsely chopped pecans (optional)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) (or more) chilled half and half cream
- 1/4 cup (50g) Redpath Turbinado Sugar
How to prepare
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. Whisk the Redpath Icing Sugar and lemon juice in bowl for glaze.
3. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, lemon zest, salt, and Redpath Granulated Sugar in large bowl.
4. Add chilled butter to the dry mix, then using your fingertips, rub the butter into small pieces.
5. Mix in the cranberries and pecans (optional). Add the cream and toss with a fork until the dough comes together in moist clumps, adding more cream if the dough is dry.
6. Gather the dough into a ball and divide in half.
7.Press out each half on floured surface to a 6-inch-diameter (1-inch-high) round.
8. Cut each round into 6 wedges.
9. Transfer the scones to a parchment lined baking sheet and brush the tops with the lemon glaze. Then sprinkle the tops of each scone with a little Redpath Turbinado Sugar.
10. Bake the scones until golden brown and a tester comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
11. Serve warm or with plenty of butter, jam and tea.
- Brushing the tops of the scones before baking, with a lemon glaze, gives the scones a crisp golden top that youre going to love.
- When making scones, make sure all your ingredients and equipment are as cold as possible. This will help you achieve a light and fluffy scone.