If you love to celebrate occasions year-round with special treats, make these simple and delicious cookies your go-to! Our versatile Golden Yellow Sugar brings the perfect blend of mild caramel undertones and beautiful colour to this recipe, and the classic taste of almonds is a crowd-pleaser for cookie fans, both young and young-at-heart!
30 minutes chilling time
For the cookie dough:
- 2 cups (240 g) cake flour 2 cups (240 g) cake flour
- 1 cup (100 g) almond flour 1 cup (100 g) almond flour
- 1 tsp (5 g) baking powder 1 tsp (5 g) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 g) baking soda ½ tsp (2 g) baking soda
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- ½ cup (113 g) butter ½ cup (113 g) butter
- ½ cup (113 g) vegetable shortening ½ cup (113 g) vegetable shortening
- ¾ cup (163 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed ¾ cup (163 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg yolk 1 egg yolk
- 1½ tsp (7 ml) pure almond extract 1½ tsp (7 ml) pure almond extract
For the egg wash:
- 1 egg yolk 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) water 1 tsp (5 ml) water
- Whole blanched almonds or whole almonds, lightly toasted (see Chef’s Tips) Whole blanched almonds or whole almonds, lightly toasted (see Chef’s Tips)
- Baking sheets x 2 Baking sheets x 2
- Parchment paper Parchment paper
- Scale OR dry measuring cups Scale OR dry measuring cups
- Measuring spoons Measuring spoons
- Large bowl Large bowl
- Whisk Whisk
- Stand mixer with paddle attachment OR large bowl with hand mixer Stand mixer with paddle attachment OR large bowl with hand mixer
- Large rubber spatula Large rubber spatula
- Trigger-style ice cream scoop Trigger-style ice cream scoop
- Flat-bottomed drinking glass Flat-bottomed drinking glass
- Small bowl Small bowl
- Small pastry brush Small pastry brush
- Wire cooling rack Wire cooling rack
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together cake flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined, and no lumps remain.
In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and vegetable shortening until smooth. Add the Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar and cream until pale in colour; 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed using a large rubber spatula.
Add in the lightly beaten egg, egg yolk, and almond extract. Mix until incorporated into the brown sugar mixture.
Add the dry ingredients into the bowl and mix on low speed until just combined.
With a trigger-style ice cream scoop, scoop the dough and roll into balls. Alternatively, pinch off dough and roll into 1-inch balls. Place onto the prepared baking sheets about 1 to 2 inches apart. Slightly flatten the tops of the balls to about ¾- to ½-inch in height, using a flat-bottomed drinking glass. Gently press a toasted whole almond into the centre of each cookie. Place baking sheets into the fridge to chill; 30 minutes.
While cookies are chilling, preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and water. Using a small pastry brush, lightly brush the entire surface of each cookie with the egg wash. Place into the preheated oven and bake until golden brown; 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cookies cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. Carefully transfer the cookies to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Store completely cooled cookies in an airtight container lined with parchment paper at room temperature for up to 5 days.
*Ensure all ingredients are at room temperature before proceeding with the recipe.
*If cake flour is unavailable, substitute 1 cup of cake flour by measuring out 1 cup of all-purpose flour and removing 2 tablespoons of the flour. Replace with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and sift or whisk mixture thoroughly to ensure flour mixture is well combined and flour is aerated.
*If whole blanched almonds or whole almonds are unavailable, sliced or slivered almonds can be used instead. Do not toast beforehand, as these smaller and thinner pieces will toast while baking on the cookies.
*Use blanched almond flour for a “cleaner” looking and more delicate textured cookie. Almond meal or finely ground whole almonds can be used, but note that the resulting cookie will have a coarser texture and be speckled with brown bits from the almond skins.
*Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar can be used instead of the Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar; however, note that the cookies will have a more pronounced caramel flavour and will be darker brown.