Cherry and Ginger Kvass
25 minutes + overnight (to drain whey)
What you need
- ½ cup (125 g) plain yogurt
- 2 cups (400 g) fresh or frozen cherries (preferably organic)
- ¼ cup (38 g) diced dried apricot
- ¼ cup (50 g) Redpath ® Granulated Sugar
- 1 ½ inch piece (58 g) fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into 10 slices
- Tie yogurt in a piece of doubled cheesecloth and drain in a fine mesh strainer set over a bowl overnight in the refrigerator. There should be about ¼ cup (60 ml) of liquid (whey) in the bowl. Save the drained yogurt for another use.
2. Wash two 1 liter jars and their lids in hot soapy water and rinse well.
3. Bring 2 liters of water to a boil for 5 minutes and allow to cool to room temperature.
4. In each jar place 1 cup (200 g) cherries, 2 tbsp (19 g) dried apricot, 2 tbsp (25 g) sugar, 2 tbsp (30 ml) whey and 5 ginger slices. Top the jars with the cooled, boiled water. Cover the jar and shake gently to mix the contents.
5. Place in a cool spot and allow to ferment 2 to 3 days. Each day turn the jar over couple of times to redistribute the contents, then release the lid to allow any built up gas to leave. After 2 days, taste the kvass and ferment one more day if you would like more carbonation or less sweetness. Once kvass is to your liking, place it in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Use any other fruit in place of the cherries - berries, peaches, apples, mango or combinations of fruit, as long as the jar is filled about ¼ to ? full with fruit.