Caramelized Pear and Parmesan Focaccia
50 minutes, 2 hours and 15 minute rise time
What you need for the dough:
- 2 cups (480 ml) water, heated to 110°F (43°C), divided
- 1 package (8 g) active dry yeast
- Fliptop Vase with Granulated Sugar 2 tsp (8 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- 5 ½ cups (660 g) bread flour
- 1 ½ tsp (9 g) salt
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil, divided, plus more for oiling the bowl
What you need for the topping
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil, divided
- 100 g (½ large) red onion, thinly sliced
- 400 g (2 medium) firm bosc pears, cored and cut into ⅜ inch (1 cm) slices
- Golden Yellow Sugar ¼ cup (54 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed
- 1 cup (60 g) grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp (5 g) chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp (3 g) chopped fresh sage
- ½ tsp (2 g) ground pepper
- ½ tsp (2 g) coarse sea salt
How to prepare the dough
- In a small bowl whisk together ¼ cup (60 millilitres) of the water, yeast and Redpath® Granulated Sugar. Rest for 10 minutes, until foamy.
- Place the flour and salt in the bowl of stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Mix on low speed for 1 minute. Add the remaining water, yeast mixture and 1 tablespoon (15 millilitres) of olive oil on top of the flour. Mix on low speed until dough comes together.
- Switch to the dough hook and increase speed to medium-low, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary, until dough is smooth and elastic; about 7 minutes.
- Grease a large bowl with olive oil. Transfer the dough to the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled; 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Oil a 18 x 13 inch (46 x 33 centimetre) rimmed baking sheet pan with 3 tablespoons (45 millilitres) of olive oil.
- Gently press down on the dough to release any gas and turn into the prepared pan.
- Pat dough out so it reaches the edges of the pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise again, until doubled; 1 hour.
How to prepare the topping
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon (15 millilitres) of olive oil. Add the onions and sauté until golden. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add the pears to the same pan and cook on one side until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Flip and sprinkle in the Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar. Cook, flipping pears occasionally, until the sugar is melted and bubbling; 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- How to assemble the Caramelized Pear and Parmesan Focaccia
- Press deep indents all over the dough with your fingers. Drizzle with remaining 3 tablespoons (45 millilitres) of olive oil.
- Place the pears evenly over the dough.
- Sprinkle with the onions, rosemary, sage and cheese.
- Sprinkle with pepper and coarse sea salt.
- Bake until golden brown; 25 to 30 minutes
- Remove and cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Transfer warm focaccia to a cutting board. Cut into squares - we cut ours into 3 x 4 inch (7.5 x 10 centimetre) portions. Focaccia is best served the day it is made.
- Be sure to use firm Bosc pears - overripe pears will not be able to handle being cooked twice.