With all due respect to brownies (which we love!), sometimes there’s no substitute for the texture and taste of a classic blondie. Using brown butter and our Dark Brown Sugar brings out mouth-wateringly rich flavours of butterscotch and caramel. And for you chocolate lovers, we’ve topped them with milk chocolate chips and a pinch of sea salt for a decadent finish.
This recipe comes to us courtesy of our friend Nik Manojlovich from Weekend at the Cottage.
- 1 cup (105 g) pecan pieces 1 cup (105 g) pecan pieces
- 2¼ cups (281 g) all-purpose flour, preferably unbleached 2¼ cups (281 g) all-purpose flour, preferably unbleached
- 1 tsp (6 g) salt 1 tsp (6 g) salt
- ½ teaspoon (2 g) baking powder ½ teaspoon (2 g) baking powder
- ¾ cup (170 g) butter ¾ cup (170 g) butter
- 1¼ cups (271 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar 1¼ cups (271 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) pure vanilla extract 2 tbsp (30 ml) pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup (125 ml) corn syrup ½ cup (125 ml) corn syrup
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup (85 g) milk chocolate chips ½ cup (85 g) milk chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp (21 g) milk chocolate chips 2 tbsp (21 g) milk chocolate chips
- Flaky sea salt Flaky sea salt
- Scale OR dry measuring cups Scale OR dry measuring cups
- Measuring spoons Measuring spoons
- Liquid measuring cup Liquid measuring cup
- Baking sheet Baking sheet
- Parchment paper Parchment paper
- Cooking spray Cooking spray
- 9 x 13-inch metal baking pan 9 x 13-inch metal baking pan
- Small bowl Small bowl
- Whisk Whisk
- Heavy-bottomed skillet (12 inch) Heavy-bottomed skillet (12 inch)
- Heat-proof rubber spatula Heat-proof rubber spatula
- Large mixing bowl Large mixing bowl
- Small offset spatula (optional) Small offset spatula (optional)
- Wire cooling rack Wire cooling rack
- Cutting board Cutting board
- Sharp chef’s knife Sharp chef’s knife
Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
Spread pecans on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place into the preheated oven and toast for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely. Leave oven on.
Lightly grease and line a 9 x 13-inch metal baking pan with parchment paper, making sure there is a 2-inch overhang on all sides.
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder until well mixed. Set aside.
In a 12-inch heavy-bottomed skillet, melt butter over medium to medium-high heat while continuously stirring to ensure the butter does not burn. The butter will bubble and foam and begin to turn brown; approximately 4 minutes. Remove from heat and pour the browned butter into a large mixing bowl.
Add the Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar to the browned butter and whisk to combine. Whisk in the vanilla extract. Add in the corn syrup, and whisk until the mixture is no longer hot. Pour the lightly beaten eggs into the cooled sugar mixture and whisk to thoroughly combine.
With a spatula, stir in the dry ingredients until the mixture is smooth. Stir in the toasted pecans and milk chocolate chips. Transfer batter into the prepared baking pan. Smooth the top using the spatula or a small offset spatula.
Sprinkle the top of the blondies with the remaining chocolate chips and a sprinkling of flaky sea salt.
Place blondies into the preheated oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the centre is set and the top is golden. Rotate the pan at the halfway mark. Remove from oven and place the blondies onto a wire cooling rack and cool completely; 1 hour.
Lift completely cooled blondies out of the pan with the aid of the parchment overhangs and cut into 24 squares. Store in an airtight container, layered between parchment paper for up to a week at room temperature or place into the freezer for up to 3 months.
*Ensure all ingredients are at room temperature before proceeding with the recipe.
*If using kosher salt, use about 1½ teaspoons (6 grams). If using other salts, use a scale to measure 6 grams of the product as different salts (e.g. table salt versus fine sea salt) have different densities.
*If parchment paper is unavailable, line the 9 x 13-inch baking pan with foil and lightly grease with cooking spray or butter.
*If desired, use dark chocolate chips in place of the milk chocolate chips, or use a mixture of both.
*Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar can be substituted for the Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar. Note that the resulting blondies will be paler in colour, and the butterscotch flavour will be less pronounced.
*Toasted, chopped walnuts, hazelnuts, or almonds can be substituted for the pecans, if desired.