The Best Baked Oatmeal
What you need:
- 2 cups (200 g) rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (60 g) chopped almonds, pecans, or walnuts
- 1/3 cup (66 g) Redpath Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp (4 g) baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 g) cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 g) salt
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tbsp. (21 g) melted butter
- 2 cups (500 mL) whole milk
- 2 tsp (8 mL) vanilla
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 cups (296 g) mixed berries (fresh or frozen)
- Add 2 tbsp flax, chia, or hemp seeds (they're full of Omega-3's)
- Substitute half the rolled oats with spelt or rye flakes
- Sprinkle the top of the oatmeal with wheat or oat bran before baking
- Add a tablespoon or two of wheat germ
How to Prepare:
1. Preheat oven to 375 F (190°C). Grease a 9” cake pan or an 8” square baking dish; set aside.
2. In a bowl, combine the oats, almonds, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine whisk together the egg, melted butter, milk, and vanilla.
4. Slice the bananas thinly, then arrange on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
5. Sprinkle the berries over top of the sliced bananas.
6. Cover the fruit with the dry ingredients.
7. Pour the wet ingredients over the oat and fruit mixture.
8. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the top is golden and the oatmeal has set. Serve warm. We love it served with extra milk, fresh fruit, toasted nuts, and of course a sprinkling of sugar for sweetness.