Zabaglione with Summer Fruits
- 1 ⅓ cup (353 g) fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 1 ⅓ cup (345 g) fresh blueberries
- 6 tbsp (75 g) Redpath Granulated Sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) Marsala wine (another sweet dessert wine, such as Madeira or sweet sherry may be substituted)
- ¼ tsp (2 g) salt
- ¼ tsp (2.5 ml) almond extract
In a bowl, toss together the cherries and blueberries. Divide fruit between 8 serving bowls, cover and set aside.
Fill a medium pot with 2 inches (5 centimeters) of water and bring to a gentle simmer. Have ready a round bottomed, stainless steel or copper bowl that can rest on the top of the pot without touching the water.
Off the heat, place the Redpath® Granulated Sugar, egg yolks, wine, and salt in the bowl.
Immediately beat with an electric mixer or whisk until smooth.
Set bowl over the simmering water and beat continuously, checking the water periodically to make sure it is not boiling. Beat mixture until it thickens to the consistency of soft whipped cream, and pools in ribbons when the beaters are lifted, about 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and beat in almond extract
Top prepared fruit with warm zabaglione. Serve immediately.
- For a nonalcoholic version, substitute white grape juice or apple juice for the wine
- Any other fresh, seasonal fruit may be substituted for the cherries or blueberries
- Zabaglione may be chilled before serving