Virgin Strawberry Daiquiris
4 large (8 oz) glasses, with a little extra to spare
What you need:
- 4 cups (600 g) fresh strawberries, cleaned and sliced
- ½ cup (125 ml) fresh lime juice
- ½ cup (125 g) diced pineapple, fresh or canned
- ½ cup (100 g) Redpath Demerara Style Sugar
- 2 cups (500 ml) soda water
- 4 - 8oz glasses
- A blender that knows its way around frozen drinks
How to prepare:
1. First find local strawberries. The closer to home the better. They'll be sweeter and juicier. Clean them up by rinsing, removing the green stem, and if the berries are large slice them into ¼ inch wide slices. Place them on a lined baking sheet, and freeze them for 4 hours, or until frozen solid.
2. Once the berries are frozen, get out your blender. Into the blender, add the lime juice, pineapple and demerara style sugar. Blend these together on high, until the sugar is dissolved. Test this by rubbing a little of the liquid between your fingertips. You shouldn’t be able to feel any sugar granules.
3. Once the sugar is fully dissolved, add in the frozen strawberries and pour in the soda water until it comes 2 thirds of the way up the strawberries.
4. Begin blending the berries, by starting on low, and working your way up to high. If the mixture is firm and isn’t moving, pour in a little more soda water until it begins to move.
5. Once blended, divide the daiquiri up into 4 glasses, add a straw and serve.
- If you can't find Redpath Demerara Style Sugar, try replacing the measure of sugar with Redpath Dark Brown Sugar to get a similar flavour.
- If you don't have time to freeze your fresh strawberries before making the drinks, grab a bag of frozen sliced strawberries from the freezer section at your local grocery store.