Vegan Avocado and Silken Tofu Chocolate Mousse
What you need
- 1 ½ cups (255 g) vegan semi-sweet chopped chocolate or chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp (13 g) coconut oil
- 1 package (300 g) silken tofu, drained
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- ½ cup (109 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, packed
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) non-dairy milk, such as almond, soy or coconut
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- 1 cup (240 ml) whipped vegan topping
How to prepare
1. Place the chocolate and coconut oil in a medium microwaveable bowl. Melt on high in 20 second increments, stirring in between, until chocolate is almost melted. Remove and stir until smooth.
2. In the bowl of a food processor process the tofu, avocado, Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, milk, vanilla and salt until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary. Add the melted chocolate; process until fully combined.
3. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and gently fold in the whipped topping. Spoon the mousse into six 1 cup serving dishes, filling them about ⅔ full. Cover with plastic wrap and allow mousse to chill for a minimum of 2 hour.
4. Serve chilled with extra whipped topping and toasted nuts (we used pistachios) or fresh berries, if desired.
- Try adding ⅓ cup of your favourite nut butter to the tofu avocado mixture and top the chilled mousse with the same type of nut, toasted.
- For a non-vegan option, try our The Most Decadent Chocolate Mousse recipe.