Tarte au sucre
8 to 10 servings
20 minutes and 30 minutes of chilling time
40 to 45 minutes
For the pastry:
- 1/2 batch of Perfect Pastry
For the filling:
- 1 2/3 cup (362 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, packed
- 1 tsp (6 g) sea salt
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup (57 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pastry and line a 9-inch pie dish. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- For the filling, stir together the brown sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan, heat the evaporated milk and butter over medium heat, stirring until the butter has just melted.
- Immediately pour the milk mixture over the sugar mixture. Whisk gently for 30 seconds (it is okay if doesn't dissolve completely). Whisk in the egg and vanilla until smooth.
- Holding a fine-mesh sieve over the prepared pie crust, carefully pour the sugar mixture through the sieve into the crust.
- Place the pie on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake in the centre of the oven until the filling just barely jiggles in the centre, 35 – 40 minutes.
- Let the pie cool to room temperature on a wire rack. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Leftovers from most types of pie (lemon meringue is an exception because the meringue trends to "weep" during storage) can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 4 days.