1 9-inch pie
65 to 75 minutes
- 1 recipe “Perfect Pie Crust
For the strawberry pie filling
- 3/4 cup (150 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- 2/3 cup (145 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp (72 g) tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp (2 g) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (2 g) salt
- 6 cups (1152 g) quartered strawberries, fresh
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (3 g) lemon zest
For the egg wash
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) water or heavy cream
Preheat oven to 400℉ (204℃). Position oven rack on the lower third of the oven. Place a baking sheet in the oven to preheat.
Make pie crust as directed. Line a 9-inch pie plate with the dough. Roll out the remaining dough for the top crust. Using small cookie cutters (any decorative shape can be used), cut out a decorative pattern into the top crust. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in the fridge until needed.
In a small bowl, whisk together the Redpath Granulated Sugar, the Redpath Dark Brown Sugar, tapioca starch, ground cinnamon, and salt until thoroughly blended.
In a large bowl, toss together the quartered strawberries, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Pour sugar-mixture over the berries, toss until strawberries are well coated.
Transfer the strawberries into the prepared pie crust, mounding the berries in the middle. Carefully drape the top crust over the strawberries.
Trim off excess dough, leaving about a ½-inch overhang. Fold about 1/4 inch of the dough under, creating a thicker “crust”. Decoratively crimp the edges. Place the pie into the fridge to chill; about 30 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk together the large egg with water or cream. With a pastry brush, lightly brush the crust with the egg wash, being careful not to fill the cut-outs with the egg mixture as this may leave cooked egg in the holes when baked.
Place the pie onto the preheated baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 375℉ (190℃). Continue to bake for an additional 45 to 55 minutes, until filling is bubbly and hot, and the crust is a deep golden brown.
Carefully remove pie from the oven. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before attempting to slice; at least 3 hours. Or cool pie to room temperature and place into the fridge to chill until the filling is cooled to 85℉ (29℃).
- Tapioca starch can be found in the baking aisle, or international aisle at your local grocery store or at health or bulk food stores.
- To make tapioca starch, process instant tapioca into a fine powder using a spice grinder.
- If crust is browning too fast, cover with aluminum foil and continue to bake until pie is done.