Strawberry Linzer Cookies
yields 18 cookies
24 minute cook time with a 30 minute chill time
- ¾ cup (120 g) hazelnuts
- ½ cup (109 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed
- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp (3 g) baking powder
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- ½ tsp (2 g) cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (1 g) ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp (1 g) ground cloves
- ¾ cup (170 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (233 g) strawberry jam
- ¼ cup (30 g) Redpath® Icing Sugar
- In the bowl of a food processor, fitted with the metal blade, combine the hazelnuts with ¼ cup (54 grams) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar. Pulse until the mixture resembles fine crumbs; about 15 times.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and whisk in the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Set aside.
- Using a handheld mixer, or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and remaining ¼ cup (54 grams) of Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar on medium speed until pale and fluffy; about 4 minutes. Beat in the egg, followed by the vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low and add the dry ingredients in two additions, mixing until just combined.
- Knead the dough once or twice to bring together. Form into a disc and wrap in plastic. Chill a minimum of 30 minutes, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll chilled dough between two sheets of parchment to ⅛ inch (3 millimetres) thickness. If dough is difficult to roll, let rest for 10 minutes (to soften). Using a 2 ½ inch (6.5 centimetre) round cutter, cut 18 rounds and place them 1 ½ inches (3.25 centimetres) apart onto one of the prepared baking sheets.
- Continue cutting another 18 rounds, re-rolling the scraps as necessary, and place them on the second baking sheet. Using a smaller cutter - we used a 1 inch (2.5 centimetre) circle - cut out the centre of the cookies to make the “lids”.
- Bake the cookies, one tray at a time, rotating halfway through baking; 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool cookies on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then gently remove to a rack to cool completely. Cookies may be frozen at this point in an airtight container for up to one month. Thaw before filling.
- Once cooled, spoon 1 heaping teaspoon (13 grams) of jam onto each of the 9 bottom cookies.
- Sift the Redpath® Icing Sugar over the tops and gently press onto the jam covered bottoms.
- Strawberry Linzer cookies can be kept layered between parchment in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Unbaked cookie dough may be well wrapped and frozen for up to 2 months.
- Almonds may be substituted for hazelnuts in this recipe.
- Feel free to use any of your favourite jams for the base of these Linzer cookies, we used our Strawberry Jam recipe, but you could easily use Blackberry Mint Jam, instead.