Spicy Tomato and Olive Spread
about 2 cups
What you need
- 3 pints (849 g) grape or cherry tomatoes, washed, dried, and sliced in half lengthwise
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp (60 ml + 30 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp (3 g) fine sea salt
- ⅓ cup (72 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, firmly packed
- ½ cup (96 g) whole dry-cured black olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 g) drained capers
- 2 cloves (2 tsp) garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (2 g) chili flakes
- ½ tsp (2 g) ground cayenne
- ½ tsp (2 g) ground paprika
- ½ tsp (2 g) fresh rosemary
- ½ tsp (1 g) fresh thyme
- ½ tsp (2 g) dried basil
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Spread the sliced tomatoes, skin side down, onto a prepared baking sheet.
3. Drizzle tomatoes with 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil, and sprinkle with sea salt and Redpath ® Dark Brown Sugar.
4. Place in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, rotating halfway, or until tomatoes are crisp and wrinkled.
5. Take out of the oven and cool; about 20 minutes.
6. Place cooled tomatoes into a food processor. Pulse until coarsely chopped.
7. Add the remaining ingredients into the food processor bowl, pulse until desired consistency is reached.
8. Serve on toast, pita chips, cucumber slices, or crackers.
- If a spicier spread is desired, add an additional ½ teaspoon (1 g) of chili flakes (or ground cayenne) to the mixture.
- As an easy appetizer, spoon this spread onto crostinis, and crumble goat (or feta) cheese over the mixture and garnish with fresh basil.
- For dinner, this spread would be tasty served warm overtop cod (or any white fish).