Have something to celebrate? Whether it’s big or small, make it extra special with this bubbly & delicious drink! Boldly seasoned with ginger, cardamom, and turmeric, it adds flavour and colour to any occasion.
35 minutes cooling/chilling time (or overnight)
For the golden simple syrup:
- ⅛ tsp (12 to 14 pcs) black peppercorns, whole ⅛ tsp (12 to 14 pcs) black peppercorns, whole
- 6 pcs cardamom pods 6 pcs cardamom pods
- ½ cup (109 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed ½ cup (109 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed
- ½ cup (125 ml) water ½ cup (125 ml) water
- ¼ cup (36 g) fresh ginger, sliced ¼ cup (36 g) fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 tbsp (12 g) fresh turmeric, minced 2 tbsp (12 g) fresh turmeric, minced
- 4 pcs (9 g) orange zest, wide strips 4 pcs (9 g) orange zest, wide strips
- 1 3-inch cinnamon stick, broken in half 1 3-inch cinnamon stick, broken in half
For the drink:
- ½ cup (125 ml) orange juice, chilled (preferably freshly squeezed) ½ cup (125 ml) orange juice, chilled (preferably freshly squeezed)
- 1 bottle Champagne, chilled 1 bottle Champagne, chilled
- Orange slices Orange slices
- Cinnamon sticks Cinnamon sticks
- Edible “glitter” (decorative sugar) Edible “glitter” (decorative sugar)
- Mortar and pestle Mortar and pestle
- Small pot Small pot
- Fine mesh sieve Fine mesh sieve
- Cheesecloth or coffee filters Cheesecloth or coffee filters
- Measuring cup or medium-size bowl Measuring cup or medium-size bowl
- Stemmed glassware (eg. champagne glasses) Stemmed glassware (eg. champagne glasses)
Place the black peppercorns and cardamom pods into a mortar. Crush coarsely with pestle, just enough to break the peppercorns and cardamom pods and seeds open. Set aside.
In a small pot, combine the Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar and water. Place over medium-high heat and stir to combine. Add in the sliced ginger, minced turmeric, strips of orange zest, pieces of cinnamon stick, and the crushed spices. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
Reduce heat and simmer; 2 minutes. Turn off heat, cover pot, and allow mixture to infuse and cool to room temperature; 15 minutes.
Place cooled mixture into the fridge to chill completely; 20 minutes or preferably overnight.
Line a sieve with a layer of cheesecloth or use a fine mesh sieve. Strain the chilled simple syrup into a measuring cup or bowl. Gently press down on the solids; discard solids.
Run an orange slice around the rim of each champagne flute or any stemmed glass. Place the edible “glitter” into a small plate or dish. Dip and turn the rims of each glass into the sugar. Set aside.
Add about 2 tablespoons (30 ml) each of the orange juice and simple syrup into each glass. Top off each glass with champagne. Garnish with an orange slice or cinnamon stick.
*The flavoured syrup can be made a few days in advance for easy preparation.
*If you don’t own a mortal and pestle, you can crush the black peppercorns and cardamom pods on a cutting board using the bottom of a heavy pot or cast iron pan.
*Prosecco, white Cava, or any sparkling white wine can be used in place of the champagne.
*For a non-alcoholic sparkler, replace the champagne with sparkling white grape, pear, or apple juice.
*If desired, replace the 2 tablespoons of minced fresh turmeric with 2 teaspoons (6 grams) of ground turmeric. When straining the simple syrup, line the sieve with a coffee filter or a double layer of cheesecloth to catch as much of the turmeric granules as possible.
*When handling turmeric (fresh or ground) be forewarned that it will stain fingers, cutting boards, and fabrics. If possible, wear gloves. Rub stained fingers and fingernails with lemon juice or white vinegar. Rub stained cutting boards with a paste made with equal parts baking soda and water. Sprinkle stained areas of fabrics with baking soda. Let the paste on the cutting boards and the baking soda on the fabrics sit for at least 20 minutes before removing and scrubbing only the stained areas. Soak the areas in pure white vinegar, or if possible, a solution of 2 parts water and 1 part bleach.