This is one of the world’s most popular condiments, and just a taste is all you’ll need to understand why. It’s surprisingly easy to make, and it adds a zesty homemade touch to appetizers and hors d’oeuvres. Or, try it with your favourite style of chicken - it’s sweet perfection with everything from grilled breasts to breaded strips!
- ⅔ cup (167 ml) water ⅔ cup (167 ml) water
- ½ cup (100 g) Redpath® Organic Granulated Sugar ½ cup (100 g) Redpath® Organic Granulated Sugar
- ⅓ cup (83 ml) rice wine vinegar ⅓ cup (83 ml) rice wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) apple cider vinegar 3 tbsp (45 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (12 g) chili flakes 1 tbsp (12 g) chili flakes
- 1 tsp (4 g) Thai chili pepper, minced 1 tsp (4 g) Thai chili pepper, minced
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fish sauce 1 tbsp (15 ml) fish sauce
- 4 tsp (10 g) cornstarch 4 tsp (10 g) cornstarch
In a small saucepan or pot combine water, the Redpath® Organic Granulated Sugar, rice wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, minced garlic, chili flakes, minced Thai chilis, and salt. Place over medium-high heat and stir to dissolve sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer; 5 minutes.
In a small dish, whisk the fish sauce and cornstarch to form a slurry.
Quickly whisk the slurry into the simmering sauce. Continue to stir and simmer the sauce until the sauce loses its cloudiness and cornstarch is cooked out; 2 minutes.
Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. Use immediately or ladle into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
*Use organic products wherever possible. Organic produce and products can be found in the organic aisle of any major grocery store or health food stores.
*You can use red chili peppers in place of the thai chilis and chili flakes if desired. If using, use about 3 tablespoons of minced red chili peppers. For a spicier sauce, keep the seeds in the peppers, for a milder sauce, remove seeds.
*Wear gloves while handling chili peppers. Alternatively, if not wearing gloves, wash hands well under warm soapy water to ensure the oils are washed off. Do not rub eyes or nose while handling chili peppers.
*Fish sauce can be found in the international aisle of most grocery stores.