Salted Vanilla Caramels
about 6 minutes and 2 hours of cooling time
- 1/2 cup (100 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup (108 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) golden corn syrup
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup (57 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp (3 g) fine sea salt
- Sea salt flakes sea for garnish
Line the base and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang of paper on two facing sides. (This will help you remove the caramels from the pan.) Set aside.
In a large microwaveable bowl, combine both sugars, the corn syrup, condensed milk, butter, vanilla extract and salt.
Microwave on high power for 6 minutes. Stirring every 2 minutes.
Check the temperature with a candy thermometer: it should register 250℉ (120℃). If the mixture is too cool, heat for 30-second intervals until it reaches 250℉.
Carefully pour the caramel into the prepared pan and sprinkle with sea salt flakes. Let cool at room temperature for at least 2 hours
Using the parchment paper overhang, lift the caramel from the pan to a cutting board. With a large, sharp knife, cut into 25 pieces. (The caramels can be stored in an airtight container, individually wrapped in wax paper or cellophane for up to 1 month)